Peachick is throwing leg out to the side any ideas why?

down2earth

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2022
Bloomsburg, PA
2 mo old peachick last couple weeks only throwing it's left leg out to the side when it walks. Can jump to perch still and run. Holds it up when standing sometimes. Only thing that I seen it do was jump up onto the wire outside wall and hang there flapping it's wings then flew off. Could it have injured its leg then? It's been weeks and it looks to be getting more pronounced. The leg looks normal to me. Please see video and pics. I'm not sure if the video uploaded but here is the url

IMG_20230615_134007.jpg
IMG_20230615_133750.jpg
IMG_20230615_133652.jpg
IMG_20230615_133951.jpg

It was only like that for the last few weeks. If it is a deformity wouldn't it have showed before?
Why fatal? Will it get worse?
How can I tell if it's an injury that can be fixed? Sorry for all the questions.
You are correct that it is not a deformity, it is an injury, a ligament has been torn that holds the leg in the correct position and is not repairable and will not heal itself. This is called a blown hock and will only get worse to the point you will have to put it down, The quality of life will be dire in time. Sorry.

I'm so sorry. I have no experience with peachicks, but I had a slipped tendon chicken chick this season. I know with chickens, the older they are when it happens, or the longer it goes before treatment, the less chance there is of it being fixable. Mine was found and treated within the first few days of life, not weeks.

I didn't see it happen obviously, but from what you describe, I think it's quite plausible she became injured at the point of that incident you described. I'm sorry. ❤️

You are correct that it is not a deformity, it is an injury, a ligament has been torn that holds the leg in the correct position and is not repairable and will not heal itself. This is called a blown hock and will only get worse to the point you will have to put it down, The quality of life will be dire in time. Sorry.
Thankyou kskingbree for your reply even though it's not a good. Do you think it's in pain and how long should I wait. How do you put a chick down do I go to the vet?
I don't want it to suffer.

Thankyou kskingbree for your reply even though it's not a good. Do you think it's in pain and how long should I wait. How do you put a chick down do I go to the vet?
I don't want it to suffer.
Birds are quite good at hiding pain so we don't really know how much it hurts.

When you decide it is time you can put it to sleep with ether, (starting fluid in a can). Soak a paper towel and cover the birds face until it becomes calm or asleep, then put both the towel and the birds head in a baggie. It will only take a few minutes until you see a body tremble which is its last gasp.

It is never easy for us to do but it is the least painful for both us and the bird.

Back
Top Bottom