Peachicks of 2016 photos -- Let's see the babies!!!

I Would like to nominate my hen "Lucy " for mother of the year. Once again she has managed to hatch her chicks despite my peeking and picture taking and general annoying nosiness. She hatched 4 of 6 eggs, 2 were duds.:( . Of the 4 chicks, 2 appeared IB and 2 pied. But through no fault of her own, but for several unfortunate events,(a leaf blower right outside the henhouse for one), Lucy took her chicks out and hid them in the woods on night 3 -(normally she brings them back to the safety of the chicken pen at night)....so, a coon got the 2 IB chicks-:th . I'm sure Lucy sat tight while the **** coon pulled them right out from under her, so she could protect the others. Anyway, this is why she should get Hen of the year. I have since banned leaf blowers from the property and Lucy once again brings the chicks in each night. Watching her teach her chicks, catch bugs and share them, stops mid stride to let the chicks catch a quick sun-nap, encouraging them with her "clucks" to come along, or warn them away from the cat and offering a safe wing to nestle under at bed time.
X2 for Lucy! You go girl!
1f44d.png
Gerald Barker

One of my keeper babies this year. Out of Zazous and Dilly. Hoping for some color as well as some white in this one's train, if it is a boy.

I call it a loud pied but not sure if that is the correct term for this patching on a pea chick. Regardless, it is a beauty, I think.

love.gif

One of my keeper babies this year. Out of Zazous and Dilly. Hoping for some color as well as some white in this one's train, if it is a boy.

I call it a loud pied but not sure if that is the correct term for this patching on a pea chick. Regardless, it is a beauty, I think.

love.gif

Beautiful, and I would also call that a loud pied.

How do "loud pied" and "silver pied" differ?

Loud Pied won't have White Eyes in their train while a Silver Pied will. Genetically Loud Pied carries, 1 Pied gene and 1 White gene. Silver Pied carries 1 White Eye gene, 1 Pied gene, and I believe 2 White genes all working together at the right time.

Back
Top Bottom