Peachicks of 2016 photos -- Let's see the babies!!!

Garden Peas

Songster
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Not sure if mine are the first, but the others won't be far behind. Here's the latest at my house (chick #4), who just popped out this evening:

And here are the first 3 chicks in their spiffy makeshift double-decker brooder -- good thing that Mikey is too big to slip out of the dog crate!
gig.gif

So who's gonna be next? (Not counting the other eggs in my bator, lol.) Who else has eggs in the incubator?

Outtakes from Easter photo shoot
gig.gif

Peachicks (1) do not stay still, and...

(2) despite being less than a week old, they can FLY!!!

Even with two of us, two peachicks had us outnumbered. This is not like taking photos of baby chickens
jumpy.gif

But our peababies are soooo worth it! Happy Easter to all
hugs.gif

Garden Peas

Finally, my first pea chick hatched this year!

I set several first eggs under the Silkie hens but I think Superman has not been able to convince his ladies he is THE man. I have seen him breed one of his hens but so far the first of the eggs from that pen did not grow. That is alright, I think I have at least 8 more under the Silkies from them. Superman is a purple peacock I picked up this year and put with 3 IB BS hens, Charm, Stars and Celebrity.

The Opal WE hens are in with my silver pied, Velocity and they are laying well.

I got my first Bronze egg today from my Bronze peacock, Hershey, over his 2 daughters Dove and Kisses. I lost their mom, Godiva to a freak accident and do not have any other Bronze.

The IB peacock, Mojo is hopefully getting busy with his IB hens, JuJu and Hoorah and I have set some of their eggs. They just came home from the other peafowl place about 4 months ago so I have never gotten to hatch from them before.

Jack, my one eyed purple and his lady, Roche, have given me one egg.

Zazous, the silver pied peacock I named after a great lady here on BYC, and his Dilly have given me a few eggs.

And the most thrilling thing for me is the first hatch of the year.
My Cameo Peacock and my Peach hen gave me their very first offspring. I am so proud of them! They are both around 6 years old (or more) and she has never laid all that well til this year. So far she has given me 6 eggs!
The pea chick hatched under a Silkie but I brought it into the brooder because the Silkies are sitting on a lot more eggs.

I was beginning to think Peachy was sterile or something since she rarely laid and I never could hatch what she did lay. I think I made her happy with the pen she is in now. Cameo is her childhood sweetheart since they grew up together since hatch and have always lived together.

It's data like this that allowed me to create this chart. This chart show that at four weeks the three chicks are all within the normal weight range. Note that there are three lines here that are below the one group. The blue one that ends at day 25 died from a yolk sack infection, the black one had a deformed neck and was euthanized, and the longer blue one was just behind a little, but did finally catch up.

-Kathy

And I am guessing I only have one hen in the group??
The purple peahen
Your male is a Purple split to Black Shoulder. They have one black shoulder allele. Black Shoulder is a recessive allele. It requires two Black Shoulder alleles to become a Black Shoulder. That means you have to have 2 Black Shoulder peafowl, 2 peafowl that are split to Black Shoulder, 1 peafowl is Black Shoulder and the other is split to Black Shoulder. To get a Purple peacock one of your hens is a Purple as well. My guess would be the Black Shoulder hen is a Purple Black Shoulder peahen. Mainly because Black Shoulder peahens can be hard to identify which color they contain.

Back
Top Bottom