Peachicks of 2016 photos -- Let's see the babies!!!

Ack! Love the pool thing going on! That is great! Wish I could do that but I have hatched over 40 so far this summer and they are scattered around in different brooders and cages.

Here is my latest hatch yesterday and this morning. All three from the same breeding pen as the majority have been this year (Silver pied, Velocity over white eye Opal hens).
Oh, and ignore the date on the eggs. I think someone spiked my water that day or I had heat exhaustion but I realized it was the wrong date the next day when I set eggs and saw these in the nest. I wrote on the wall above the nest box the hatch date so I knew they were due yesterday and not to follow the date on the egg.

I also am finding it very interesting that from this pen I am getting a majority of "dark pieds". I mean, the peacock is silver pied and the girls are white eyed, which I really expected more silver pied or at least pied to come out of. So fascinating to me. I may keep a few dark ones back just to see what they will mature out as next year.
hu.gif

Here's an update on the chicks. I think that in the clutch of three chicks there are 2 males and one hen. The clutch of 4 I know there's one male, I believe there is also one hen. The other 2 I'm thinking male but not 100% sure.

I think this is a male.

I know the on in the back is a male.

This is the one that I'm thinking could be the hen.

I think male.

Male

Male

The one in the middle I believe is a hen.

ale

Ack! Love the pool thing going on! That is great! Wish I could do that but I have hatched over 40 so far this summer and they are scattered around in different brooders and cages.

Here is my latest hatch yesterday and this morning. All three from the same breeding pen as the majority have been this year (Silver pied, Velocity over white eye Opal hens).
Oh, and ignore the date on the eggs. I think someone spiked my water that day or I had heat exhaustion but I realized it was the wrong date the next day when I set eggs and saw these in the nest. I wrote on the wall above the nest box the hatch date so I knew they were due yesterday and not to follow the date on the egg.

I also am finding it very interesting that from this pen I am getting a majority of "dark pieds". I mean, the peacock is silver pied and the girls are white eyed, which I really expected more silver pied or at least pied to come out of. So fascinating to me. I may keep a few dark ones back just to see what they will mature out as next year.
hu.gif
The chicks you're think are Dark Pied, I think they're White Eyed. Silver Pied carries a copy of the White Eyed gene.

Last edited:
Phenotypically (is that even a word?), wouldn't WE and dark pied look very similar until train comes in?
My avatar is from the WE Opals from last year but the father was a Bronze. I am pretty sure he will be WE. Can WE and dark pied be on the same bird? Would it look any different and you just not know until you bred it?
Still wrapping my mind around what peas can carry and present.

They could be in the same bird, but dark pied means a bird with two pied genes, and since your hens isn't pied or split pied you will not get dark pied chicks, all these chicks will be split white eye, and will be either split white or pied.

They could be in the same bird, but dark pied means a bird with two pied genes, and since your hens isn't pied or split pied you will not get dark pied chicks, all these chicks will be split white eye, and will be either split white or pied.

Thank you. I really want to learn more about the peafowl genetics but never have found the time. It makes more sense when I actually hatch it and see it. I am a visual learner.

If I hatched a silver pied from them and the silver pied peacock, would that mean they carry a pied gene?

Silver Pied carry a White Eyed gene though. Which could lead to White Eyed chicks.

Thank you. I really want to learn more about the peafowl genetics but never have found the time. It makes more sense when I actually hatch it and see it. I am a visual learner.

If I hatched a silver pied from them and the silver pied peacock, would that mean they carry a pied gene?
To get a Silver Pied you need a Pied, White Eyed, and 2 White genes working together to create a Silver Pied from non Silver Pied parents. As for the actual doing all that breeding not sure how it all works out.

Phenotypically (is that even a word?), wouldn't WE and dark pied look very similar until train comes in?
My avatar is from the WE Opals from last year but the father was a Bronze. I am pretty sure he will be WE. Can WE and dark pied be on the same bird? Would it look any different and you just not know until you bred it?
Still wrapping my mind around what peas can carry and present.
The White Eyed gene probably won't show until they start getting premature train feathers like the male in your avatar would be my guess.

Last year I hatched a silver pied from my Bronze peacock (no white on him anywhere) and one of the WE Opals. (You have probably heard this story before from me.) So that makes me believe that my WE Opals have a pied gene, too. I have no idea about the Bronze peacock but he did throw a WE daughter from his Bronze hen, that I am sure carried the WE gene.

Back
Top Bottom