Peafowl Worming

Kathy,

Would you test the poop or just treat??? Also, when to treat...Should you always treat when new birds are introduced no matter what??? And a
I am asking for both worms and lice/mites???

Thank you so much...

Oh, and I have never seen a pour-on, can you get that at your local feed store???

One more question...I have established birds, geese and chickens...I have never needed to treat them for worms and or lice/mites...Should I now with the introduction of new Peafowl keeping in mind these Peafowl lived on the other side of my neighborhood fence...My neighbors are moving and gave them to me???

Kathy,

Would you test the poop or just treat??? Also, when to treat...Should you always treat when new birds are introduced no matter what??? And a
I am asking for both worms and lice/mites???

Thank you so much...

Oh, and I have never seen a pour-on, can you get that at your local feed store???
Would be best to have the poop checked, but personally, I de-worm all new birds without checking poop, and I think others do the same. For lice and mites, check them very closely, especially around the head.

Oral 1% injectable dose = 0.05 ml per pound
  • Large adult male gets 0.6 ml
  • Small adult male gets 0.4 ml
  • Large adult female gets 0.4 ml
  • Small adult female gets 0.3 ml

Oral 1.87% Ivermectin horse paste dose = 0.03 ml per pound
  • Large adult male gets 0.32 ml
  • Small adult male gets 0.21 ml
  • Large adult female gets 0.21 ml
  • Small adult female gets 0.16 ml

These are the ear/eye lice that peafowl are prone to getting.

And two videos:

One more question...I have established birds, geese and chickens...I have never needed to treat them for worms and or lice/mites...Should I now with the introduction of new Peafowl keeping in mind these Peafowl lived on the other side of my neighborhood fence...My neighbors are moving and gave them to me???
You never treated for lice? You might want to check some of your chickens just in case. As for worms, would be best to gather up a bunch of poop and have fecals done on them.

This is the pour on ivermectin:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ivomec-pour-on-250ml

-Kathy

So one of the worms that we pea people never seem to address is the tapeworm, so I thought I should share some pictures that someone just sent me.

The tapeworms shown below came from one of these chicks that weigh ~100 grams:

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Will post treatment options later.

Last edited:
Kathy,

Is this a paste, is this a liquid...Do you put it in water or down the throat???

Still feeling so confused going back and forth through all these posts.

I just rescued some peas and my girlfriend is taking them, but I am holding them until she can collect them and I want to make sure they are all treated as I have established geese and chickens, and three female peas that I just rescued from my neighbor...And I also want to treat them for lice/mites. I think I have that one figured out??? And I want to make sure if I catch them to treat them I am treating them for everything all at one time. I don't feel that putting it in the water is a good idea as the new peas are stressed and I haven't seen them drink much water so I want to make sure they are treated properly when I catch them, I want to medicate for worms, lice/mites and clip their wings...Done and done. Please advise.

Thank you so much

Kathy,

Is this a paste, is this a liquid...Do you put it in water or down the throat???

Still feeling so confused going back and forth through all these posts.

I just rescued some peas and my girlfriend is taking them, but I am holding them until she can collect them and I want to make sure they are all treated as I have established geese and chickens, and three female peas that I just rescued from my neighbor...And I also want to treat them for lice/mites. I think I have that one figured out??? And I want to make sure if I catch them to treat them I am treating them for everything all at one time. I don't feel that putting it in the water is a good idea as the new peas are stressed and I haven't seen them drink much water so I want to make sure they are treated properly when I catch them, I want to medicate for worms, lice/mites and clip their wings...Done and done. Please advise.

Thank you so much
Oral and water treatments for worms only - will not treat mites or lice

Safeguard or Panacur liquid for goats or cattle ( fenbendazole 100 mg/ml)

• 0.23 ml per pound orally for five consecutive days. Some people repeat in 10 days.

or

Safeguard or Panacur paste for horses (fenbendazole 100 mg/ml)

• 0.23 ml per pound orally for five consecutive days. Some people repeat in 10 days. Note that one 25 gram tube of Safeguard or Panacur paste = one 125 ml bottle of liquid for goats. One tube of paste will not treat very many birds.

or

Valbazen liquid (albendazole 113.6 mg/ml)

• 0.2 ml per pound orally 1-3 day and repeat in 10 days

or

Wormout Gel (Praziquantel -20 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 20 mg/ml)

• 0.23 ml per pound orally and repeat in 10 days

or

In water worming

Valbazen liquid (albendazole 113.6 mg/ml)

• per @barkerg , 10 ml per gallon and repeat in 10 days

or

Wormout Gel (Praziquantel -20 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 20 mg/ml)

• 47 ml per gallon for two consecutive days, Repeat in 10 days.

Last edited:
Kathy,

Is the1% Ivermectin injectable given orally??? It is Ivermectin, right...It doesn't say what the injectable is. That is for treating worms and given as a drench down the throat right, and the pour-on is for treating lice/mites...Right, I have never treated for lice/mites because I have never had to.

Kathy,

Is the1% Ivermectin injectable given orally??? It is Ivermectin, right...It doesn't say what the injectable is. That is for treating worms and given as a drench down the throat right, and the pour-on is for treating lice/mites...Right, I have never treated for lice/mites because I have never had to.
I give it orally. It will not treat worms, only lice and mites.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom