Peafowl Worming

Bailey,
Great question, this subject always lends itself to debate. First lets talk about the accommodations meaning the size of the potential flock and how will they be kept, free range, penned or a little of both. If you already have birds such as chickens, turkeys etc... Then your probably ahead of the game and just dont realize it yet. In my opinion all birds should be dewormed even the free range birds which some say on the free rangers that it is not needed or is less frequent but, I feel that if the penned ones can get worms then they can and will be passed back and forth and deworming is pretty cheap if done on a schedule so why take the chance? As for the meds, I would suggest speaking with some in your area as the type of worms that can be found because some regions have more of a threat of certain types of parasites than others and vice versa. I myself use ivermectin 1% injectable mixed 3cc per 1 gallon for 2 days and repeat 10 days later as a general parasite control. I also use fenbendazole which can be found in safe-guard goat dewormer and before I forget both of these can be found at your local feed/coop store there is no dewormer that I know of made specifically for peas so over the years pea people have derived the right amounts needed and believe me they work. Now back to safeguard as stated is a goat dewormer and I mix 3.5 cc per gallon for 3 days and with this med I suggest that you mix it daily as it is kinda pasty like mylanta and settles pretty quick, I also repeat after 10 days, the reason for repeating is because neither of these meds kill the eggs so a repeat helps to stop the cycle. These are the basics I use, there are other remedies and other parasites but, my fingers will fall off if we go there so someone will chime in here to cover what Im missing. Neither of these meds are deadly and are pretty friendly but an overdose could occur but it would take a bunch for that to happen. I would not mix both at the same time and many will tell you to treat pre and post egg laying season due to some studies that have suggested the meds could affect fertility I am still in the air about this but take no chances there either. Some will tell you to not eat the eggs (chickens) because the meds could be passed to you and I also take no chances there either as walmart always has eggs
1f44d.png
. Again, this is the basics as done by me and yes this was long winded. There are many subject matter experts on here and you will not be disappointed. This sounds odd but, you will learn how to read your birds poo and be able to tell if they are getting sick before they do, peas are the worst for looking great today and then tomorrow they can go downhill fast. I hope this helps.

Gerald Barker

I like this forum...But I would so appreciate a step by step out-line...When you tell someone to do only one wormer it would so helpful to tell them which one and how to use it...I'm doing my best to take care of some rescued peas, and doing my best to educate myself, but there is so much information and it can get confusing , I think we are all trying to do our best to help keep these birds happy and live healthy lives...Besides worming, is there anything else medicinally I need to give them???

Really appreciated it...Thank you

Hello @MTZ2016 ...

So, the dosage really depends upon how old and large your peas are.
For my adult peaboy, I gave him:

Safeguard goat drench (10% fenbendazole)
Administer orally 3ml/day for 5 days
Wait 10 days
Administer orally 3ml/day for (preferably) 5 more days.

I'm not good at oral dosing myself, so I gave this to him soaked into little pieces of bread or crackers.
If you have a young bird or a peahen, the dosage will be smaller, someone else may be able to advise you.

Hope this helps!
big_smile.png

*Also, if you are unfamiliar with the how-to of oral dosing, this is a great illustrated article from Craig Hopkins: http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

Last edited:
Gerald, do you do both at the same time...Ivermectin and Safeguard???

Please disregard my previous posts in this thread, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and until February of this year or actually after I posted that info, We were taught/schooled (by people who actually care) the proper method of deworming and gave up our old school ways. We no longer use ivermectin for internal parasites and use it topically for mites/lice (external parasites) on our peas and for our dogs heartworms. Ivermectin is useless when compared to the better "white" broad spectrum dewormers on the market today. Safeguard (fenbenzadole) is a great dewormer for birds but must be administered orally due to its non solubility in water and attempts at mixing it in water will only cause it to settle to the bottom of your waterers rendering it useless, due to us having Green peafowl that are almost suicidal and catching them is not worth the risk of injury to us or the birds. We have opted to use Valbazen (albenzadole) because it mixes in water and we now administer 10ml of valbazen per 1gallon of water and Im happy to report that @KsKingBee received some of our birds very recently and ran fecals on them and found 0 evidence of worms. We looked back at our records over the years and realized that we have lost birds probably due to bad deworming methods and we figured it was par for the course but now, it makes me sick to think about how many birds we lost to neglect to be honest. Im knocking on wood as I write this but, we have not lost a bird since changing our methods. It was this forum and mainly the advice of @casportpony and @KsKingBee as well as others that set us straight, thanks guys,
1f44d.png

Edit: ps do not worry about od'ing your birds with the dewormers mentioned, it would take a lot to kill a grown pea. I watch tweety birds that weigh approx 1oz drink from the waterers containing 10ml of valbazen and i am not finding them dead around the yard, even though I wouldnt be to mad as those tweetys eat their fair share of our feed bill.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
Sorry. Safeguard and Valbazen are the best in my opinion. Safeguard is 1 cc per 4 lbs. Valbazen Gerald has given you the dosage. New 2 has given you an effective way and method of worming your birds that are feral. If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Interesting that this came up as I just ran a second fecal exam on Gerald and his hens, yes I named the birds I got after Gerald. The first fecal I ran just under two weeks ago and found zero worm eggs and only 18 cocci. Less than 20 cocci my vet told me to not worry about treating but I did give them a round of SulfaMed-G last week.

This evening I ran the fecal again and again found zero worm eggs and zero cocci. I also ran my brooder of youngest chicks that had a lot of cocci two weeks ago and they now have zero cocci, but now they have a low count of roundworms. Note that they are not on the ground but running loose in a brooder building, so they must have been exposed to the roundworms from tracking on my shoes. I am going to use Geralds Valbazen treatment on my brooder chicks tomorrow.

Thank you, I think...Still feeling confused due to the comments from Birdrain92...Anything else I need to do for the peas medicinally besides worming???

Thank tou so much Gerald for you candor, really appreciated!!!

Back
Top Bottom