Peafowl Worming

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger has a lot of truth to it. If it's not a lethal dose it will only make them become stronger.

Resistance is what we saw in the honeybee mite treatments. There is a product called Apistan and later when resistance became clear, Checkmite, now neither is working on mites.

What happened is that the Apistan strips were killing 98% of the mites. The 2% that had some contact but did not die had offspring that were also resistant and all of their offspring was resistant thereafter. There was also some other issues of misuse like leaving the strips in after the treatment period and newly hatched mites were getting a diluted dose from the nearly depleted strip and not dying also contributing to the resistance.

People need to be educated about resistance or we will run out of tools to fight parasites. Much like antibiotics in humans and animals.

We took our new dog to the vet today for his first round of shots.  While we were there I had a discussion about diluting Safeguard in water as is the internet advice we find everywhere.  She said that if people continue to dilute the safeguard down to ineffective levels, and by that she means less than the amounts veterinary medicine prescribes, (50mg/kg), it will become virtually useless as the resistance builds up in the worms we are trying to kill.

We also discussed Ivermec, her opinion is that Ivermec is not an effective wormer and that it is just about useless in cattle because of the resistance that is now being seen.  

In some countries ivermectin is a miracle drug that is used on and in the people population for parasite control so it might not just be us crazy fowl people in the States creating super parasites. I agree partially with your vet about the worms and ivermectin's over and misuse as well as it not being used properly for the right bugs but, in my best opinion and defense, it does help more than it hurts and when its all you got or shall I say, if mixing it in water is the only thing one can do, then its better than doing nothing. You would probably get a different survey answer from 10 different vets if asked the same question. Im not trying to bash your post or you Kingbee as I, as well as others enjoy your words but just pointing out that this will always be a heavily debated subject amongst all animal lovers and most just do what works for them.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
In some countries ivermectin is a miracle drug that is used on and in the people population for parasite control so it might not just be us crazy fowl people in the States creating super parasites. I agree partially with your vet about the worms and ivermectin's over and misuse as well as it not being used properly for the right bugs but, in my best opinion and defense, it does help more than it hurts and when its all you got or shall I say, if mixing it in water is the only thing one can do, then its better than doing nothing. You would probably get a different survey answer from 10 different vets if asked the same question. Im not trying to bash your post or you Kingbee as I, as well as others enjoy your words but just pointing out that this will always be a heavily debated subject amongst all animal lovers and most just do what works for them.

Gerald Barker

Not trying to bash you Gerald but vets they stress the importance of following wormers and doing it properly. Reason being is if the parasites become immune then you have a parasite problem and it can affect others in nearby areas.

Last edited:
Not trying to bash you Gerald but vets they stress the importance of following wormers and doing it properly. Reason being is if the parasites become immune then you have a parasite problem and it can affect others in nearby areas.

And I agree as well. Most Vets are there to help for sure, people doctors, not so much these days.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
We took our new dog to the vet today for his first round of shots.  While we were there I had a discussion about diluting Safeguard in water as is the internet advice we find everywhere.  She said that if people continue to dilute the safeguard down to ineffective levels, and by that she means less than the amounts veterinary medicine prescribes, (50mg/kg), it will become virtually useless as the resistance builds up in the worms we are trying to kill.

We also discussed Ivermec, her opinion is that Ivermec is not an effective wormer and that it is just about useless in cattle because of the resistance that is now being seen.  

Gerald Barker

Not trying to be mean, but the injectable ivermectin that people mix with water does nothing because it is not water soluble and floats to the top within minutes. Additionally, it must be given in very large doses to treat anything other than roundworms.

-Kathy

It depends on what worms you have, and how long they have been on the dirt. I have one that's eight weeks old, but he's never been on the dirt, so doesn't need worming.

-Kathy

All this talk about deworming was making me nervous. I have 3 two and a half week old chicks and am as nervous as I was with my first born child.

Quote: At some point you will probably want to worm them, but not until they have been on the dirt for several weeks. Do you have a kitchen scale? If not, I suggest that you get one and start tracking their weights. Lack of gain or weight loss is usually the first sign of them getting sick. Here is a chart of the ones I'm tracking this year:

-Kathy

At some point you will probably want to worm them, but not until they have been on the dirt for several weeks. Do you have a kitchen scale? If not, I suggest that you get one and start tracking their weights. Lack of gain or weight loss is usually the first sign of them getting sick. Here is a chart of the ones I'm tracking this year: -Kathy
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom