Pekin Duck Club!

I did take her to the vet, I am trained as an avian vet tech., but I wanted my vet to see her before I tried to help Rose myself. It was very informative because of course there is some misinformation out there, so it was worth getting the straight answers from a professional. I will be draining the fluid myself today, but my vet confirmed it is a poor prognosis ultimately and we have no idea what is the cause. I don’t want to run a lot of tests because of the $. However, her quality of life is good right now so I think she can be stabilized and happy for the time being!

New Peking mom here. This is one of my 5 week old Pekings. Nap time!
Thanks for letting me sneak in to say hi!
20200412_105402.jpg

Not so much treats for little ducklings but as they get bigger they can get feeder fish, mealworms, peas, watermelon, and other fruits and veggies. There is a sticky in this forum dedicated to duck treats but the ones I listed are ones Soleil loves :)
Ducklings love romaine lettuce 🥬. I rip it up into pieces and feed it by hand or throw it in their swimming pool/bathtub. Only romaine though, I know there are some varieties that are not good for them like spinach. Or is too high in iron. They also like grapes, or berries. Smash the grapes a little or cut them into pieces. Like other birds and chickens. They also like mealworms! I have 2 Pekin males, Donald and Aflac. I adopted them as adults along with 2 female khakis. They had babies last summer that look like Black Swedish ducks. I had 1 khaki male and a mallard mix so there were 7 khaki, 13 Pekin/khaki cross and 1 almost all black female with mallard type wing markings.

Attachments

• 23AA352B-9B92-4DDA-9667-18D8665DAF1A.jpeg
    23AA352B-9B92-4DDA-9667-18D8665DAF1A.jpeg
    721.1 KB · Views: 2
  • C5286DBC-7713-47AD-A906-8B21E8BB1E11.jpeg
    C5286DBC-7713-47AD-A906-8B21E8BB1E11.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 3
Oh my gosh how absolutely adorable ❤
Thank you! They were out. Pretty sure it's because I decided to go sit in the coop with everyone. Every single bird promptly went to sleep. :barnie Guess they didn't care to socialize. They certainly appreciated it when I bailed their pool and refilled it. Once we get their run built they will have a bigger pool, probably more than one. Because I'm crazy & they are spoiled!
20200412_173844.jpg
20200412_174114(0).jpg

We went a little crazy on Friday when we went in for hay...we brought home 10 more ducklings. I wanted to get a couple Blue Indian Runners & Cayugas. We came home with 2 Blues, 2 Cayugas, 2 Fawn Indian Runners, and 4 Magpies. It's a good thing we live in a rural area and have acreage!

Back
Top Bottom