Pekin Duck Club!

Ah well I have an enclosed yard and i could also build like a chicken wire fence around their "coop" when I put them in at night. But can Pekins fly? Will they come back? Haha stupid questions I know but like I said I've never owned ducks before lol :/

No, haha, Pekins most certainly cannot fly, they're like just about the heaviest duck breed out there. If you have hawks and other flying predators you might need to put up netting wherever you let them free-range, but other than that they're generally fine during the day in my enclosed yard. I've had escapees, but only when I forget to close the gate. I don't put netting up and I've been fine so far.

Just hatched my first ducks 4 of them( peking) so dam funny looking really getting a kick out of them . have 11 chickens not sure if am going to put them all together but we will see .
Info. I wish I had before my son made me the coolest duck house ever!
Drakes (male) can not mate a hen or it will drastically do damage to it! There's are like corkscrews and super long so don't mix is you have a drake. At first it's okay but once the tail feather curls get him out!

Congrats you lucky guy!

No, haha, Pekins most certainly cannot fly, they're like just about the heaviest duck breed out there. If you have hawks and other flying predators you might need to put up netting wherever you let them free-range, but other than that they're generally fine during the day in my enclosed yard. I've had escapees, but only when I forget to close the gate. I don't put netting up and I've been fine so far.
sweet. I'm excited for my babies to hatch now :D lol

Going to see the ducks today! We have them out at our cabin. They love it there! LOL! They should be laying soon.
How can you have your ducks out at your camp?! I love to go out and be w/ them in the afternoon. I can't believe having to wait it (?) before I would see them! Plus, they would miss their peas! lol

How can you have your ducks out at your camp?!  I love to go out and be w/ them in the afternoon.  I can't believe having to wait it (?) before I would see them!  Plus, they would miss their peas! lol 

They are out there at our hunting and fishing property. Other people have cabins out there, too. A couple brings their grandson out there and they feed them and they told us that their grandson calls them his ducks! Hahaha he ain't but 4 or 5. LOL! Hahaha

Hello! I have three Pekins. Two females and one male. I have also adopted a mix (pekin/mallard). The girls are Daphne and Delilah and the male is named Puffer. The mix is a drake named Henrey.

For the first question, about them being tame, I got the idea of using peas from other BYC members. Just get frozen peas and thaw them. Then just feed them to your ducks! It might take a few days or even longer but that worked to tame mine. I wouldn't just keep one, because they are flock animals and are soo much happier when they have friends! Mine won't go five minutes without each other! And about the gender and sand, I honestly have no clue! Hope this helps some!

Thank you Laci7210 for responding. You are right, they really wouldn't do without one another. If one drinks the other drinks. If one moves, the other moves. They love love love each other and I hope nothing happens to either of them cause it would so sadden the other! I found last week that mine too, love love peas. I will try getting them to eat from my hand and go from there. Jäger is dominant and will somewhat, Meister I have to corral to a corner to pick up and she is not happy at that. I know my neighbors are hooting and hollering watching me chase these gals around with little success.
1f602.png

Still hoping someone could help me with sexing... they don't "honk" at all and just do quiet talk mostly. Thanks!

Thank you Laci7210 for responding. You are right, they really wouldn't do without one another. If one drinks the other drinks. If one moves, the other moves. They love love love each other and I hope nothing happens to either of them cause it would so sadden the other! I found last week that mine too, love love peas. I will try getting them to eat from my hand and go from there. Jäger is dominant and will somewhat, Meister I have to corral to a corner to pick up and she is not happy at that. I know my neighbors are hooting and hollering watching me chase these gals around with little success.
1f602.png

Still hoping someone could help me with sexing... they don't "honk" at all and just do quiet talk mostly. Thanks!
Aww that's great! Mine are like 4-5 weeks old and are soo fun to watch! I have 2 pekins and 1 khaki Campbell's. I don't know their gender though.. I have always loved ducks and geese! Then I got chickens too! I love poultry!!

Back
Top Bottom