Pekin Duck Club!

I saw my first Drake Curl today. So far only one boy confirmed! Looks like I have two more to go, but still waiting for the curl. While watching them have a frenzy in the clean baby pool,
wee.gif
I saw one female held down by two. Getting concerned about the ratio! Especially since they're going after the same female??

I saw my first Drake Curl today. So far only one boy confirmed! Looks like I have two more to go, but still waiting for the curl. While watching them have a frenzy in the clean baby pool,
wee.gif
I saw one female held down by two. Getting concerned about the ratio! Especially since they're going after the same female??
what is your ratio? I had two boys to two girls and they favored one. It wound up being a bad thing and they broke her leg. Be careful! I think the ratio is like 1 drake to 3-4 females.

I really think I have 3 and 3. But only one so far has a true curly feather.
I already put the word out about rehoming two males, but I haven't gotten any responses.

wee.gif
yOU need to do something about that before something bad happens. That's not a good situation for her!

I really think I have 3 and 3. But only one so far has a true curly feather.
I already put the word out about rehoming two males, but I haven't gotten any responses.

Can you tell by their quacks? Usually, the quack will tell the gender much faster than the drake feathers... Also, if the males are mounting, you should be able to see their "you know what" in the water. It's really long and curly, like a corkscrew.
If you find that you have 3 and 3, you will definitely have to get rid of 2 of your males, as I see you are trying to do... If you can't find homes for them, you will have to separate them. However, wait until you know for sure... I have a female Rouen who is a little confused and tries to jump on my Pekin girl when the drake is mating her. She's just strange like that sometimes and it is normal for them to kind of act out a bit, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's 2 males yet...

Can you tell by their quacks? Usually, the quack will tell the gender much faster than the drake feathers... Also, if the males are mounting, you should be able to see their "you know what" in the water. It's really long and curly, like a corkscrew.
If you find that you have 3 and 3, you will definitely have to get rid of 2 of your males, as I see you are trying to do... If you can't find homes for them, you will have to separate them. However, wait until you know for sure... I have a female Rouen who is a little confused and tries to jump on my Pekin girl when the drake is mating her. She's just strange like that sometimes and it is normal for them to kind of act out a bit, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's 2 males yet...
so true countrygirl! Do you know that the breeder I bought my girls from picked them up and told me that the girls kind of scream when they were young while the boys just yell. He was right and we got 2 girls.

CountryGirl74,
What is LAB and how do you make it and use it?

Here is a great video on how to make it - the video itself is a bit lengthy but once you learn how - it's super easy!! Just take notes during the video and you'll always have your instructions. At the end, he explains all the great uses for LAB. I have a big jug in my fridge and I just pour some into a spray bottle, dilute it and spray everywhere I need. I just make a new batch every year, but he will tell you how you can stabilize it and keep it for even longer if you don't want to keep it in the fridge. Once, when the pen was really bad, I diluted it into a bunch of gallon jugs and just poured everywhere, as a spray bottle would have taken forever. You can feed the "cheese" to any of your animals...
Basically it works by breaking down all the bad bacteria while propagating good bacteria and a healthy environment for your ducks and chickens. I will be using it again here soon when the monsoon storms start coming in and making a smelly run!

Sweet! My four pekins are four weeksbold :) they are runnin bbn around outside right now. Can you tell the gender by the color of their bills? And what should I be feesing them? The teenagers at my farm supply stoee know NOTHING! :/ So frustrating. Ill post picture when my como starts working again

Back
Top Bottom