Pekin Duck Club!

awwwww I think they will be getting roommates ASAP! Haha

I sent them a email. I am pretty sure they was pekins. I told them I would like to have them if they are in fact pekins. We will see what happens.

So I have discovered a new problem. My drake that was introduced to my females yesterday, has found it absolutely necessary to guard "his" pool. The only way for my females, and chickens, to get a drink is to agree to a mating session. He has even tried this with my chickens. No drink unless you mate. The females cant even get close to the pool without being dragged in and mated. I know they have to mate....and it might just be the protective momma in me but I am afraid my girls aint gonna be able to drink and play in their pool like they should cause that mean ol' boy is always trying to mate.

So I have discovered a new problem. My drake that was introduced to my females yesterday, has found it absolutely necessary to guard "his" pool. The only way for my females, and chickens, to get a drink is to agree to a mating session. He has even tried this with my chickens. No drink unless you mate. The females cant even get close to the pool without being dragged in and mated. I know they have to mate....and it might just be the protective momma in me but I am afraid my girls aint gonna be able to drink and play in their pool like they should cause that mean ol' boy is always trying to mate.
Hopefully eventually he will calm down. You will need to watch him with the chickens though, he can kill them trying to mate with them. If you have room adding another pool or small tubs of water will help everyone be able to drink some.

Hello again! So today I just noticed that my only drake is getting his drake feather!!! Yay! I'm so excited! I filled up both of their pools for play time! They had so much fun! I do have one kinda awkward question: are there any signs as to when they are in the mood to mate? My drake Puffer was having A LOT of fun with one of the girls specifically (Delilah). But he is just now getting his drake feather so I know he's too young. How old does that mean he is? Thanks in advance!

Playing!
smile.png
Sorry, I don't know the specific age bracket but I would imagine it would be around the same time females start laying....so anywhere from 4-6 months. Our girls started imitating male behavior (we have no drakes) just before they started laying. Clear fresh water always seems to initiate the behavior in them. good luck

Hello again! So today I just noticed that my only drake is getting his drake feather!!! Yay! I'm so excited! I filled up both of their pools for play time! They had so much fun! I do have one kinda awkward question: are there any signs as to when they are in the mood to mate? My drake Puffer was having A LOT of fun with one of the girls specifically (Delilah). But he is just now getting his drake feather so I know he's too young. How old does that mean he is? Thanks in advance!

Playing!
smile.png
My girls would go completely flat on the water - especially in a nice clean pool. It's a sign of submission and invitation to the male.

Can someone look at my earlier post and answer?
Can you repost or tell what page it's on? - it might have gotten overlooked as it's been busy around here lately...

Hopefully eventually he will calm down. You will need to watch him with the chickens though, he can kill them trying to mate with them. If you have room adding another pool or small tubs of water will help everyone be able to drink some.
X2 - He can definitely kill your chickens. Chickens can be severely injured or even killed as they are not made to take in what he's got...

Back
Top Bottom