Pekin Duck Club!

I can just imagine you having to mist him with saline solution from across the room!:lol:

I know it's not funny when they are hurt.  But they can be ridiculous when we are trying to help!:hugs

We went back down with mum and it looked like one was a little bent when we plucked it out it had like a littlw sack/bulb on it and the stem of the feather was really soft it made me queasy! But from what I read it was a blood feather and woah I hope I don't have to do that again haha

I NEED HELP NOW u know how i did my first Pekin hatch ever well the babies are 2 months old and I had 5 and 2 died we think worms and were not sure if its a virus or not we looked at its butt and it was all weird and gross so we think worms but we want to make sure we get rid of it plz plz tell me what to do i made a thread but no one has given me an answer as what I can give ducks chickens geese and peacocks

There are worm medicines like Ivermectin and Miss Lydia uses Wazine.

Can you post a photo? There is also a fungal disease called gleet that they can get. Try putting a half and half mix of vinegar and water together. Soak a clean cloth with that and press it gently but firmly on their vents. Does any of the yuck come off?

There is also something called pasty butt.

So get them into some warm - not hot - water and see if it will soak off. You may need to help with a wet cloth.

Can you all show me (or tell) what you use for pools? my Pekin seem about as agile as hippos and cannot get into a thing i have here for the other breeds.

Now that the warmth(finally!!) is coming forth the low laying water is disappearing. I do have the bottom of a sandbox that they kinda get in but it barely holds a duck and a half.. such big babies lol

Can you all show me (or tell) what you use for pools? my Pekin seem about as agile as hippos and cannot get into a thing i have here for the other breeds.

Now that the warmth(finally!!) is coming forth the low laying water is disappearing. I do have the bottom of a sandbox that they kinda get in but it barely holds a duck and a half.. such big babies lol
My friend who rescues Pekins suggests sitting a kiddie pool down in the soil. Like you need some extra manual labor!

But for their legs' sake, You might have some strong strapping youngster or other willing adult dig out a place where half the edge of a kiddie pool snugs up against soil, the other half sits on top of the ground so you can grab and dump it from that side.

I may not have explained that very well . . . .

I just use 2 ft boards stacked against the pool as steps, my two are really clumsy too! You can also make a wide low ramp with a piece of plywood

My friend who rescues Pekins suggests sitting a kiddie pool down in the soil. Like you need some extra manual labor!

But for their legs' sake, You might have some strong strapping youngster or other willing adult dig out a place where half the edge of a kiddie pool snugs up against soil, the other half sits on top of the ground so you can grab and dump it from that side.

I may not have explained that very well . . . .

LOL.. yeah, i need to dig holes huh? mind you i should set chickens in that spot they sure dig to half the world. What you said makes sense, THanks AMiga!

Last edited:
There are worm medicines like Ivermectin and Miss Lydia uses Wazine.

Can you post a photo? There is also a fungal disease called gleet that they can get. Try putting a half and half mix of vinegar and water together. Soak a clean cloth with that and press it gently but firmly on their vents. Does any of the yuck come off?

There is also something called pasty butt.

So get them into some warm - not hot - water and see if it will soak off. You may need to help with a wet cloth.

@nate1the1great1 I would be inclined to first think pasty butt, I've never had worm issues ever. Not saying it's impossible, but I don't think ducks are really susceptible to that sort of thing like chickens are. Gleet, yes , very possible. Pics would help us in advising you.

Hi Everyone!

I am a first time duck momma and would love to join your group! I am learning so much from reading all of the posts! I want to be sure my babies are spoiled. Right now they are about 2 months old and I am in love with them!

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom