Pekin Duck Club!

Ditto for ours too, made a temporary pen with a kidfie pool and put some concrete steps inside, first thing they did when I put them in was jump out

Our Pekin ducks don't like water. Is this normal?

My 1st pekins acted this way. Let them find this themselves and they will soon be always in the water. If placed they hated it. Just let them enter at their leisure and they should be fine with it. Its like someone being pushed off a dock, pushed its not ok but if they jump dive etc its cool beans. Forcing animals is not how nature (Ok it is but we are not mother nature) ... ok its not natural. I think that made some sence. Or none at all.

I agree, I actually was planning on building a pond, but may wait to see how they do with the kiddie pool. So for now I will just give them an opportunity to try it.

2 pekin's here! I have 1 drake(Aflac) and 1 hen(Flo) who is currently sitting on her first "litter"... I'm new so I don't know much terminology, lol. Est. due date is June 10th...I have questions though. They are in a pen with a rooster and 6 hens (chickens, who all free range during the day)

1. Will the baby ducks be ok with all of them?
2. I have a kiddie pool, is it true they can drown?
3. The pool, should I keep it clean or do the ducks like it dirty?
4. Can I put fish in the kiddie pool? lol
5. Can the ducks free range as well once they hatch?

Hope know one thinks these are stupid questions but only one way to learn...ask. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
2 pekin's here!   I have 1 drake(Aflac) and 1 hen(Flo) who is currently sitting on her first "litter"... I'm new so I don't know much terminology, lol. Est. due date is June 10th...I have questions though.  They are in a pen with a rooster and 6 hens (chickens, who all free range during the day)

1. Will the baby ducks be ok with all of them?
2. I have a kiddie pool, is it true they can drown?
3. The pool, should I keep it clean or do the ducks like it dirty?
4. Can I put fish in the kiddie pool? lol
5. Can the ducks free range as well once they hatch?

Hope know one thinks these are stupid questions but only one way to learn...ask. Thanks for your help!

Hello there! I am fairly new as well but just from my experience so far, yes they can drown in the kiddie pool, as far as getting along with the chickens, my 3 pekins still don't get along with the other 2 ducklings I have, so that will be a kind of wait and see I think. My ducks can dirty a kiddie pool in no time flat so I change it every 2 days or so and occasionally I put little feeder fish in. Mine couldn't free range until they were about 3 weeks old, but they didn't have their mom so it will probably be different for you! Sorry I couldn't help more!

Back
Top Bottom