Pekin Duck Club!

:welcome  From Ledbetter, TX. My hens don't ever do that. But how can she be egg bound and still lay eggs? I have 5 hens but no one does that behavior.
Mandy

Exactly. Her actions say egg bound from dragging butt and just not acting herself. But we are very confused. No one else in the coop/run is or has ever had an issue. Thank you.

Help? I seem to have a sick drake. Hubby went out to feed them and found him laying against the fencing, honestly thought he was dead. Picked him up and he didn't fuss or fight, which is very unusual,he let me carry him all the way in to the house. He's eating, but have yet to see him drink. Ve dry lethargic and noticed his bill is cracked and slightly discolored (dark feathers is just mud, it's raining) He also feels very light, I didn't notice how much weight he'd lost because he's so fluffy
1f615.png
but he's not been eating much for a little while now it would seem. any ideas what I should do?

Last edited:
Help? I seem to have a sick drake. Hubby went out to feed them and found him laying against the fencing, honestly thought he was dead. Picked him up and he didn't fuss or fight, which is very unusual,he let me carry him all the way in to the house. He's eating, but have yet to see him drink. Ve dry lethargic and noticed his bill is cracked and slightly discolored (dark feathers is just mud, it's raining) He also feels very light, I didn't notice how much weight he'd lost because he's so fluffy
1f615.png
but he's not been eating much for a little while now it would seem. any ideas what I should do?

@eldridgebrood Could he have been fighting or being bullied by another drake keeping him from eating and drinking. Can you give us some background what you feed where you keep him ? Thanks. How does his eyes and nares look any drainage? I's put some poultry vitamins in his drinking water if you can get Poultry Nurtri drench that can be given straight in the mouth. Just not shot down the throat.

Has anyone answered the questions in this forum? The same thing happened to my goose/gander at the college. She usually honks and runs to me when I get there and I found her sitting and slowly opens and closes her mouth with a small squawk may could have been a little crackly,...it has been raining and a lot of Canadian Geese have been coming to the lake, her and Shorty are ALWAYS together,...I picked her up and took her to the car to take her to the vet and she died in my arms and my heart is in my stomach and I am SICK,...I NEED to know what happened? We don't know her age but she has been at the college pond for maybe up to 8 yrs.,.. No trauma on her body. I recently made her a little open face shelter so she can see what is going on at her little lake. Mallards come and go and last year 12 females stayed and quite a bit more this year having such a Midwest warm Winter
I need some help and guidance on what happened and what should I do about poor Shorty, they were always connected,...Mama watched out for her something fierce,..I have not buried her yet,..this JUST happened,...please help me?!?

@bernie131 I am so sorry to hear about Mama, She could have had a respiratory infection or other infection. They really do hide their sicknesses very well sometimes we don't even know their sick till they die. Very sad and heart broken for you.

Only way you'd know for sure is to have a necropsy done.

As for Shorty is there any way to find him a home where he would be with other domestics. Possibly a rescue? She is going to grieve.

No drainage, his eyes look sleepy, but clear and alert when we get near him. He's the only drake, and only have one female duck, they share a large covered pen with a very friendly rooster and 5 hens (all raised together from the start) they have their own pool and totes made into "duck houses", although they don't use them really. They eat dumor layer pellets. They also have a bucket rigged with poultry nipple so there's always clean drinking water.
I brought him in, wrapped him in a towel. I gave him some ACV water and he's now drinking that, he's eating well and has perked up quite a bit, neigh or is bringing me the vitamins in the AM.

@eldridgebrood
    Could he have been fighting or being bullied by another drake keeping him from eating and drinking.  Can you give us some background what you feed where you keep him ? Thanks. How does his eyes and nares look any drainage? I's put some poultry vitamins in his drinking water if you can get Poultry Nurtri drench that can be given straight in the mouth. Just not shot down the throat. 

Has anyone answered the questions in this forum? The same thing happened to my goose/gander at the college. She usually honks and runs to me when I get there and I found her sitting and slowly opens and closes her mouth with a small squawk may could have been a little crackly,...it has been raining and a lot of Canadian Geese have been coming to the lake, her and Shorty are ALWAYS together,...I picked her up and took her to the car to take her to the vet and she died in my arms and my heart is in my stomach and I am SICK,...I NEED to know what happened? We don't know her age but she has been at the college pond for maybe up to 8 yrs.,.. No trauma on her body. I recently made her a little open face shelter so she can see what is going on at her little lake. Mallards come and go and last year 12 females stayed and quite a bit more this year having such a Midwest warm Winter
I need some help and guidance on what happened and what should I do about poor Shorty, they were always connected,...Mama watched out for her something fierce,..I have not buried her yet,..this JUST happened,...please help me?!?

You could consider getting shorty a new friend

Temperature outside?

Could be a systemic infection that has gone on a while. A good duck vet is best

You may need to tube feed @casportpony has published threads on that, and Tevye's Dad has recent experience.

Could be parasites, too.

I would moisten the food real well to get some liquid into him, try putting some treats in a bowl of lukewarm water with a tiny tiny bit of apple cider vinegar.

I would get a vet's help if possible.

We're in GA so Temps have been almost 60-70 all week...and I believe lowest was 45 at night, pen is still "winterized" as well, so i know it's not from cold. He has been syanding and peeking his head out and making noises at me. He's drinking the AVC water also spilled it on his food and is eating that, so he's getting plenty of liquids now. I guess all I can do for right now is continue that and see how he is in the morning. Thanks yall.
Temperature outside?

Could be a systemic infection that has gone on a while. A good duck vet is best

You may need to tube feed @casportpony has published threads on that, and Tevye's Dad has recent experience.

Could be parasites, too.

I would moisten the food real well to get some liquid into him, try putting some treats in a bowl of lukewarm water with a tiny tiny bit of apple cider vinegar.

I would get a vet's help if possible.

We're in GA so Temps have been almost 60-70 all week...and I believe lowest was 45 at night, pen is still "winterized" as well, so i know it's not from cold. He has been syanding and peeking his head out and making noises at me. He's drinking the AVC water also spilled it on his food and is eating that, so he's getting plenty of liquids now. I guess all I can do for right now is continue that and see how he is in the morning. Thanks yall.

Hopefully some good ole TLC will do the job. Just remember to never force feed. Like Amiga said @casportpony has good info on tube feeding. I know You want to try anything to help him recover. Could he have eaten something toxic? stagnant water , something dead? Metal?

Hope he is doing better this morning.

Back
Top Bottom