Pen/coop is adjacent to permanent wall. Any reason to put hardware cloth on the side next to the wall?

ChickenOfSpades

Chirping
Apr 23, 2022
Lehi, Utah
I have plans to build a bigger, better coop in a different location in my yard, but am building a quick coop so the chickens can get outdoors full time. (Construction on the big coop was delayed a bit due to illness and foul weather.)

The temporary coop will be in a little pocket next to my house that gets good afternoon shade, and will eventually be a little shade garden, but for the next couple weeks it's going to be a home for chickens. My plan is just to build a simple pen with a bit of lumber and hardware cloth. Since two of the three walls are part of the house, is there any reason to put hardware cloth on wall-facing sides of the pen?

They're about 10 weeks old, so they're fully feathered and hanging out in the yard as much as possible, but it'll still be another 8ish weeks before any start laying. Plenty of time to finish the bigger, nicer coop.

full

Should I do this ? Want to move my coop to side of my house but very little sunshine due to fence and tree. It would give excellent protection of wind and cold rain for winter, lots more room than currently and I can keep the predators at bay. They would get sunshine in the evening once let run free. Maybe 1-2 hours. Why you ask? Cost effective and unsightly. Should I do this ? Or just build a large coop out in the dirt part of my yard?

Should I do this ? Want to move my coop to side of my house but very little sunshine due to fence and tree. It would give excellent protection of wind and cold rain for winter, lots more room than currently and I can keep the predators at bay. They would get sunshine in the evening once let run free. Maybe 1-2 hours. Why you ask? Cost effective and unsightly. Should I do this ? Or just build a large coop out in the dirt part of my yard?
Shade and protection from the elements makes for a good coop location. Any drainage issues in that spot? Any legal restrictions as far as setback from your house or neighboring lots?

Back
Top Bottom