Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Howdy:

Got home from work today and found my buff orp killed by a predator...I believe she was pulled off the roost as I found some feathers near the coop door....and, I found her, sans head and neck one the other side of the yard.....I'm thinking racoon....I know there have been some around the neighborhood, but this is the first time for having one in my backyard....time to start locking down coops...do you think #6 is too small for racoon?

I'm sorry! That just sucks!

If you are referring to shot size, #6 it should kill a coon with no problem..
If you are asking for raccoon weight, 6# is on the small size, but certainly can still do some damage....
If you are asking if a raccoon can kill a 6 lb bird, absolutely...

I'm sorry! That just sucks!

If you are referring to shot size, #6 it should kill a coon with no problem..
If you are asking for raccoon weight, 6# is on the small size, but certainly can still do some damage....
If you are asking if a raccoon can kill a 6 lb bird, absolutely...

Fisher:

I have some logistics issues shooting shotguns in suburbia....one point is to limit the size of the load....I've missed a fox at about 35yds...(or didn't have the penetration to drop them )...the girl that got taken was a fav....one of my original girls....first to climb up my shoulder and peck me in the eye....an outcast that I built a second coop/pen to house..she laid double yolks and all her eggs were extra large...always hopped up on my lap to visit when sitting outside on a summer afternoon....1/2 ******...1/2 bummed...c'est la vie

Fisher:

I have some logistics issues shooting shotguns in suburbia....one point is to limit the size of the load....I've missed a fox at about 35yds...(or didn't have the penetration to drop them )...the girl that got taken was a fav....one of my original girls....first to climb up my shoulder and peck me in the eye....an outcast that I built a second coop/pen to house..she laid double yolks and all her eggs were extra large...always hopped up on my lap to visit when sitting outside on a summer afternoon....1/2 ******...1/2 bummed...c'est la vie
hugs.gif

Can totally understand how you feel! There are a few in the coop that just worm their way into your affections... and our oldest group by far has us wrapped around their little beaks with their quirks....

Live traps are also an option, use chicken or tuna for bait...

I've been looking at the "dog proof coon traps" as an appealing option. I'm not much with a gun and don't want to dispatch the critters, so I'd call our resident fur trapper, but it sounds like you have that covered. I bet any size shot would work at point blank range. Plus, you can look it in the eye as you put it down for the ultimate feeling of revenge.

Most of your neighbors would appreciate you removing them, but a few will not feel that way, so I'd keep it on the DL if I were trapping in the suburbs.

I've been looking at the "dog proof coon traps" as an appealing option. I'm not much with a gun and don't want to dispatch the critters, so I'd call our resident fur trapper, but it sounds like you have that covered. I bet any size shot would work at point blank range. Plus, you can look it in the eye as you put it down for the ultimate feeling of revenge.

Most of your neighbors would appreciate you removing them,  but a few will not feel that way, so I'd keep it on the DL if I were trapping in the suburbs.

Oh NO! Stake, so sorry to hear this. I agree completely with Dennis here. I would add -Strike while the Iron is Hot! Keep your birds locked up tight for the next few weeks and get some traps out there ASAP. That coon will surely be back soon as it has found a food source. I sure hope you get it. It's such a horrible and helpless feeling to find dead birds.

Howdy:

Got home from work today and found my buff orp killed by a predator...I believe she was pulled off the roost as I found some feathers near the coop door....and, I found her, sans head and neck one the other side of the yard.....I'm thinking racoon....I know there have been some around the neighborhood, but this is the first time for having one in my backyard....time to start locking down coops...do you think #6 is too small for racoon?

So sorry for your lost chicken. That's so terrible when it happens, especially to a favorite. :hugs

@Troyer. Not sure if you saw this from a couple days ago, but here are your chicks. Mama is teaching them how good scrambled egg is. :lol:

*edited to add link

Last edited:
Fisher:

how about a dukes dog proof trap? this trap works great, we use them since we also have cats and everything is safe but animals that use their "hands"

A relative of my step father trapped a raccoon with a leg trap. He kept him(?) in a teeny cage in his own filth. He was missing a paw and acted terrified and in so much pain. He put him in a dark corner of the barn. I went to see the horses when I went to a party at their place, and saw him. I fed him some bread and gave him water. He could not dip his food with one hand, or really even pick it up, so he had to eat off the floor. I begged to have the raccoon. He said no, but I could have a baby when he bred the raccoon. Is that even legal? Are people allowed to do that?

Back
Top Bottom