Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

hahaha
lau.gif
...just saw what sleep type looks like...hope i don't get into trouble for that mess up.

cool, thank you for your input!  Will have to think about #2 canner also....will be getting comfortable with the one first.
I do put seasonings into ours..we still doctor-it up a bit when we use it, but it is good for anything as is...pasta - pizza - a spoon..;)  
I just use the blender to get it all smooth & back into the pot to finish.
I can not wait to  can-up broth, peppers in oil, soups..omgosh,.. the soups i am going to make!!! hahaha

Our tomato crop didn't go as well this year...going to have to look into a different plant for next year maybe...
Still have enough to put up some sauce & stewed toms.  Would have really liked to make some salsa again...always next year.

How do you do your banana peppers?

Honestly, this is the first time I've done the banana peppers lol. I just followed this recipe. http://cucinakristina.com/easy-pickled-banana-peppers-for-salads-or-sandwiches/ in really hoping they turn out good.

MC-I'm sorry your garden didn't do well this year. This is also actualy the first year we've had any luck getting anything to grow. Or ground is so wet and full of clay that barely anything grew before. We put in a few raised boxes this spring and it made all the difference in the world!

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids..
bun.gif

I forgot about that!
Thank you for your input also MC. I really do appreciate it. All American..how many quart do you use?..i mean the size, what size do you have?..geeshit's late..again
th.gif

I don't know. This size!
lol.png
I think it holds 18 pints. That or 16.
Sorry about the garden, not like you don't have other things going on or anything.
I know. The fact that I am a failure is very well known.
..hey, i have jalapeno's...even have some stuffed in the freezer...hummm, do you want some?
cool.png

droolin.gif
Don't tease me, woman!
...didn't get any other hot-peppers...will be growing habanero next year...hee-hee
That is better than none.

There isn't a Home depot near here..i know state college, but not going over there...wish there was one in Williamsport...that is the best price place for the "klean Heat" fuel.
You know better than to put those lamps away!! Now, do you have fuel?..your closer to home depot than me..poo
sad.png

I think I have enough fuel for the lamps to get me through. Though I should really find a way to get the generator running. I think it just needs a battery. Someone will have to show me how to use it, but there is one person that keeps helping me out that will come rescue me, I am sure. She is nice like that.
I wish I had a kersosene heater still. That would be great. As would the chimney being in good repair for the coal stove.

okay..i ams eeing double now..
Have a good night, need to try to sleep...

I am serious about the peppers. I wouldn't have offered otherwise.
Have a few minutes before Bug gets here...thank gawd, cause my mind is ppftssss....like air out of a balloon today...
Really need to get some sleep here!!
th.gif

Anyway, Getting a generator to run is very easy..you can do it.
I will walk you through if you'd like.

But of course it has to be in good repair first, that I am only good with the basics, beyond that..it's a crap shoot.
Now what heck is going on with the chimney?....
I will make a trip to State college if need be you know. DH has that thing away he is doing anyhow...i will make sure i have "off" from watching Bug.

I don't want summer to be over, but really need a break from this humid-hot-can't breathe stuff for sure!!
Just about all the day lilies are finished blooming...sure sign of seasons changing. The little tweety birds around here are really active..not mating, but gearing up to move on south of wherever it is they go.

I don't know if i will get pumpkins in time for Halloween...they are VERY small and VERY green...got them in late.
The second crop of cucumbers is doing a lot better than the first..they are all pulled out, were very nasty.
Also second goings of green & yellow beans are blooming right now.
yesss.gif
..more bean salad on the way!!
Toms. are a day or two away from all being picked..the grape toms are still pumping out nicely.

Not many bell peppers, but they stay on the plant until they turn red/yellow..green are okay, but really like the colored, they get sweeter.
The jalapenos are doing great. they always seem to do well..even have a few RED ones on the plants..hahaha, maybe I'll dry those for something fun!
this is reading like a novel now, so i'm outta here...thank you all, it's been real.
caf.gif

Have a question about breeding..

The Marans I have, chickadee, she was a 'project' of a former PA fellow. I believe she has barred rock in her also...not too sure what else. If I remember right, haha, he was making a bird that laid dark-large maran like eggs , but more often..like a barred rock and also keeping body size

She lays 5-6 eggs a week easily and they are large, the largest in my group. Her temperament is mostly Maran (busy), gets along with the flock & has a ton of energy.
She has feather-less feet. She is a great bird, wish more had survived that hatch.

Do you think I could possibly "make" more of HER with a barred rock male?....Or, would I have to start with a 100% Marans female w/ barred rock male?
Was thinking I would end up with something 'more' barred rock than marans if i have a male over her..?

I LOVE my wyandottes(BLR), they are SOP & great. Was going to go in their direction but have decided a different path..more eggs...basically. Although, I would like, at some point, some 'extra' colors in the basket, just for fun.
When I started all this, i wanted wyandottes, barnevelders(sp?), orpingtons...you get it. Well, those girls like to "sit" on eggs & that isn't working for me right now. SO, things have changed...looking into "other" breeds to help in this endeavor.
When doing crosses, you are making many of the genes heterozygous. That is the basis for the "hybrid vigor" that is used so much commercially to make high producing birds. Those hybrids are a dead-end as far as breeding is concerned, you will not get more of the same if your breed from her, no matter what roo you use. If you had her brother, you might get closer, but the only way to reproduce the results of a cross is to re-make the cross. Assuming both parents were true breeding for the traits you value, they will consistently produce the desired offspring.

This also explains the basic difference between sexlinks and autosexing breeds. Hatcheries love to sell sexlinks because you will not be able to reproduce them from the stock they sell you, you have to keep coming back to buy more if you want the same results. Autosexing breeds are not hybrids (anymore, they started that way, as all new breeds must) and consistently breed true regarding all the traits we value (egg color, sexable chicks, productivity, etc).

I haven't kept up with you nice people in awhile but summers been busy! I've hatched too much and now I'm overloaded, so if anyone has any interest in svart hona cockerels or serama cockerels for that matter, please message me! I'm NW side of the state - 16335. I need to do some downsizing! Eek!

We usualy just do one or two for thanksgiving the weekend before T day. Thanks for thinking of me but they would just sit around here collecting dust too lol

Okay. :thumbsup
I haven't kept up with you nice people in awhile but summers been busy! I've hatched too much and now I'm overloaded, so if anyone has any interest in svart hona cockerels or serama cockerels for that matter, please message me! I'm NW side of the state - 16335. I need to do some downsizing! Eek![/quote
:frow Fill the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom