Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Some of us can be on ten times a day, then not check the site for three months. I think it’s fair to say that we try to pop in, but life happens.
And there's my cue to pop back in! Hey everybody! How's everyone doing?

Breeding season is upon us for the geese and I am finally getting enough eggs from my Red Sex Link project birds to get the Brinsea fired up! If anyone's interested in red sex link chicks (they're a RIR/Barred Rock cross) gimme a hollar. I'll let you know when they're ready!

Lesse life updates: The boyfriend and I finally bought our first house up in Schuylkill County. It's really gorgeous and we love it up there. We adopted a gorgeous german shepherd in November. My 30th birthday just hit (gods help me), and while life has been crazy it's been pretty good so far!

I'm waiting for Dennis to say he's already got the incubators running at full capacity. 🤣

And there's my cue to pop back in! Hey everybody! How's everyone doing?

Breeding season is upon us for the geese and I am finally getting enough eggs from my Red Sex Link project birds to get the Brinsea fired up! If anyone's interested in red sex link chicks (they're a RIR/Barred Rock cross) gimme a hollar. I'll let you know when they're ready!

Lesse life updates: The boyfriend and I finally bought our first house up in Schuylkill County. It's really gorgeous and we love it up there. We adopted a gorgeous german shepherd in November. My 30th birthday just hit (gods help me), and while life has been crazy it's been pretty good so far!

I'm waiting for Dennis to say he's already got the incubators running at full capacity. 🤣
Why, yes, I do. Bought a new, larger, incubator on Black Friday. Fired it up in January, but it was not running at capacity until a few weeks ago. Last Sunday when I set eggs, there was no room left in the new incubator, so I started up all 3 of the remaining cabinets and filled them.
Tonight I moved close to 600 eggs into the hatcher, and it is only 80% full. By the time I open it on Monday it's gonna be LOUD in there!
Fertility with some of the breeds has been wanting so far. Less than 50% with some, so I've been swapping out roosters with their backups from the "bull pen" (should be called "cock pen", but I don't think that's gonna catch on).
My new breeds this year are the Isabel (Lavender) Welbars/Olive Eggers. They are laying impressively and some eggs are very dark green, but not all, so that project still needs work. I also acquired a trio of Tomaru last summer and am now getting chicks from them. Super rare in the US, it took me years to track these down.

Hi Dennis, just want to say my 4y old olive egger and Welbar are still laying well, especially the Olive egger Boo. She has 5~6 large eggs per week, not much less than her first year. Of course, she started molting earlier every year when she's older.
Welbar_Marans_Eggs.jpg

The Welbars generally lay lighter colored eggs than the Copper Marans, but when they are just starting to lay, it is very hard to tell them apart. 2 of these are Welbars, and I forgot to note which ones! I think every year the Welbar pullet eggs get a bit darker because I select only the darkest eggs for the next year's breeders.

Back
Top Bottom