Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

For those of you who are interested in growing your own fruit trees, I just picked up 2 peach trees at my local Lowe's. They had them marked at 50% off. My Lowe's only had peaches and plums left. I got 2 plum trees last year from Lowe's and they are doing great this year.

Well all I can say is that these kids will be exposed to all kinds of things that the kids in town will never see.

You see I grew up with a mother that tried to shield us from everything and a grandmother that said "hogwash, these kids need to learn this stuff ". Can you tell who won that...

I take pride in the fact that this is a skill that even though it is natural to me, it is lost with most of society

I imagine they just don't have the information they need to understand the whole thing. Just think.............many people on here, like me............didn't know hardly anything about chickens or raising chickens until somehow this hobby got started. I might have said Gross..........No way..............

Of course chickens have been processed all along and I eat chicken etc.

now about little kids helping.............they may be misinformed as there is so much info about people harming animals because they have no compassion or have some character flaws............this is not what you and your kiddos are doing..............but as with many things we are uninformed about............people are quick to make assumptions without enough information.

Before we do the same thing.............lets see this kind of thing as an opportunity to provide information instead of judgement? at least initially................maybe they just don't know much about farming and chickens etc...............that is a very common situation...........not their fault...........and perhaps a little info would go a long way.....................

maybe the children or adults could say something like.................this is the family business............raising healthy , good quality food for my neighbors............organic free range chickens are really awesome. Just because my children have some exposure to the family farming business.....well its no need for alarm. ......you get the idea...................

but if we just say ........its no use.............people are all stupid.................well itt creates a bigger gulf

I am thinking this is sounding a bit too nice and naïve...............but I think you get the general idea..................how is it that people who live in the city and suburbs will ever learn about these things if they are never given good info???

Well all I can say is that these kids will be exposed to all kinds of things that the kids in town will never see.

You see I grew up with a mother that tried to shield us from everything and a grandmother that said "hogwash, these kids need to learn this stuff ". Can you tell who won that...

I take pride in the fact that this is a skill that even though it is natural to me, it is lost with most of society

I imagine they just don't have the information they need to understand the whole thing.   Just think.............many people on here, like me............didn't know hardly anything about chickens or raising chickens until somehow this hobby got started.     I might have said Gross..........No way..............

Of course chickens have been processed all along and I eat chicken etc.

now about little kids helping.............they may be misinformed as there is so much info about people harming animals because they have no compassion or have some character flaws............this is not what you and your kiddos are doing..............but as with many things we are uninformed about............people are quick to make assumptions without enough information.

Before we do the same thing.............lets see this kind of thing as an opportunity to provide information instead of judgement?   at least initially................maybe they just don't know much about farming and chickens etc...............that is a very common situation...........not their fault...........and perhaps a little info would go a long way.....................

maybe the children or adults could say something like.................this is the family business............raising healthy , good quality food for my neighbors............organic free range chickens are really awesome.    Just because my children have some exposure to the family farming business.....well its no need for alarm. ......you get the idea...................

but if we just say ........its no use.............people are all stupid.................well itt creates a bigger gulf

I am thinking this is sounding a bit too nice and naïve...............but I think you get the general idea..................how is it that people who live in the city and suburbs will ever learn about these things if they are never given good info???

Amen! This is the way my children will be raised.

Eggs in the incubator are at the end of Day 15. Some are starting to move. What should I do? Continue turning? Go into lockdown? Should I bump the humidity up??

For those of you who are interested in growing your own fruit trees, I just picked up 2 peach trees at my local Lowe's. They had them marked at 50% off. My Lowe's only had peaches and plums left. I got 2 plum trees last year from Lowe's and they are doing great this year.

will check mine tomorrow morning!!!!

Eggs in the incubator are at the end of Day 15. Some are starting to move. What should I do? Continue turning? Go into lockdown? Should I bump the humidity up??

my limited experience is....turn til lock down then raise humidity....guess it comes down to what would a broody do....my two cents....

Hi, Swataracreek!!!
frow.gif
Long time no see!

Hi been very busy a 1 year old daughter will do that

I'd do the move at night, then get up real early and meet them as they come off the roost....providing a bit of scratch might be a good idea too and it will buy some time when they won't be focused on her....my two cents (and I'm the one giving advise when I had to build a separate pen for my girl)

lol I'll take any advice I can get right now. I just put her in the coop with the others and there was some shuffling going on at the roost but I think it was just rearranging as she squeezed her butt up on since of course they roost on the board where the nest box will be instead of the actual roosts and there's nowhere near enough room for all of them there smh. I stood outside and listened for about 5 minutes and everything calmed down. A couple peeps, a trill or two and then all was quiet. I'll be out there first thing in the morning with them making sure they leave her alone. She seems to have relaxed a great deal since I seperated her (and of course loved her up).

So I was all excited when I went out to the coop to see if they went to bed on their own this time and didn't see a single chicken on the ground! But then I walked in to sit the door and there they are, all lined up, right outside the chicken door on the roosts that DH and I put in the run today *rolls eyes*.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom