Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Copied from the PA BYC page on facebook on fermenting feed:

i promised to give instructions on how to ferment feed. so here they are. i will explain 2 ways
the first method is called back sloshing or back washing. this method is ideal for small flocks.
materials needed.
1. 5 gallon buckets x 2
2. drill
3. drill bit 3/32, 1/8 or slightly larger ( i reccomend the 1/8 " or so for easier or faster draining)
4. unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
5. scoop
instructions:
making the sieve bucket:
take a 5 gallon bucket drill holes in the bottom and 1/2 way up the sides.
when finished drilling wash and scub the bucket and try to remove the plastic burs left behind by the drilling.
take the sieve bucket place into the other bucket.
fermenting feed instructions:
place feed into the sieve bucket. add water to cover about a 1/2 inch to 1 inch over feed. once the water is at level add a glug or 2 of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and stir .
you will notice the feed soaks up the water, so just add more water until the consistency is like that of oatmeal.
stir the bucket a couple times a day.
let the bucket and feed sit for 3-4 days to start the ferment process going good.
for feedings lift the sieve bucket with the feed and let drain for a little bit. scoop out feed and feed the birds.
after feeding place the sieve bucket back into the other bucket. add feed, water and a little apple cider vinegar and stir.
the water in the other bucket will be fermented water. no need to wait 3 days . you can feed the next day.
the second method continuous fermenting.
this method is great for larger flocks and is a method where no sieve bucket is required.
you can use this method for small flocks also.
materials needed:
1.a bucket or garbage can plastic or rubbermaid type ( this method can be done in 1 gallon to 55 gallon or larger.( just make sure you can stir and use feed in a short time.)
2. a scoop
3 unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
fermenting the feed:
place feed into container. add water to cover. use a generous amount of unpasteurized cider vinegar. ( the bigger the container the more acv is needed )
stir a couple times a day with a paddle.
let the feed sit for 3-4 days so fermenting action begins.
now scoop out the amount you need to feed your flock.
after feeding add feed, water and a glug of acv to the mix and stir.
special notes:
1. you don't have to use unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. if you add water to the feed, it will ferment on it's own. the apple cider vinegar just helps jump start the
process.
2 when first starting the feed it is best to use warm water. do not use hot water. this will kill the good bacteria needed.
3. if you end up with a wet wet mix do not worry if won't hurt the birds.
4. if you want use a cat litter scoop with holes in it. helps to drain the mix.
5. never use metal feed containers. the fermenting feed will produce toxins in the metal. stainless is fine but no galvanized or metal containers
This is a link Sally Sunshine published on how to make fermented feed.....

Still have quite a bit of finishing to do, but the coop is done enough to house the chickies! Turned out quite a bit bigger/taller than I envisioned but I'm really happy with it... especially considering I built it myself at 8-9mo pregnant - all the hubs helped with was lifting the long side walls up onto the floor platform and lifting the roof up into position
smile.png

Question, since it's summer and the roof is clear, should I toss a tarp over the roof for shade? The chicks seemed hot this afternoon... the pallet walls make some spotty shade, but there was a good amount of sun in there. The reason for the clear roof was extra sun in the winter, I wasn't really thinking about summer heat.

We plan to add some type of roll up shade for the open pallet side that we can put down for extra protection from rains... the idea for the pallet sides was two-fold - lots of ventilation in the summer heat and also cost effectiveness. Come winter, I'll add a panel of T1-11 siding over each of the pallet walls that can be removed again in the spring/summer.

The chicks really seem to like their coop, they didn't even get out in the temporary run today because I took too long moving the fencing around and didn't get the bird netting up over it (that stuff is so annoying, but the chicks can fly up to the little temporary fence already so it needs something over it).
I love your set up! And kudos to you for doing it pretty much all yourself and while so far preggo! It's a wonderful looking coop, and I think it will function well.

This is a link Sally Sunshine published on how to make fermented feed.....
I started FF once for my layers, and failed. It molded. I'm attempting it again for my 24 CX that I got a few days ago. I'll make some changes and hopefully this batch wont mold. I think my last one was in too large of a container that it didn't get stirred properly. I was in the 'go big or go home' mentality. I'll drop down to a 5 gal bucket this time and start out with feed only. As they get bigger I'll add in grains and such.

Hey Folks:

Here's my next generation chooks:(lounging on the deck)
the OE..17weeks (first act, just like your girl and smart too)

The dork mix...she's a sweetie!

This is a full breed CCL girl...she's not crested and is a bit small for her age...

This is the backup roo...he's got a bit too much orange/bronze in his coloring, but he's godzilla in size...15 week and bigger than all the LF girls

Beautiful chooks! I love the little crest and I agree our girls could be sisters.

Still have quite a bit of finishing to do, but the coop is done enough to house the chickies! Turned out quite a bit bigger/taller than I envisioned but I'm really happy with it... especially considering I built it myself at 8-9mo pregnant - all the hubs helped with was lifting the long side walls up onto the floor platform and lifting the roof up into position :) Question, since it's summer and the roof is clear, should I toss a tarp over the roof for shade? The chicks seemed hot this afternoon... the pallet walls make some spotty shade, but there was a good amount of sun in there. The reason for the clear roof was extra sun in the winter, I wasn't really thinking about summer heat. We plan to add some type of roll up shade for the open pallet side that we can put down for extra protection from rains... the idea for the pallet sides was two-fold - lots of ventilation in the summer heat and also cost effectiveness. Come winter, I'll add a panel of T1-11 siding over each of the pallet walls that can be removed again in the spring/summer. The chicks really seem to like their coop, they didn't even get out in the temporary run today because I took too long moving the fencing around and didn't get the bird netting up over it (that stuff is so annoying, but the chicks can fly up to the little temporary fence already so it needs something over it).
Nice job!

RE: American Holland Get-Together next weekend!

I just confirmed our speaker for next weekend! I am so excited to meet everyone who will be making the trip! I want to make sure I have enough printouts and supplies. Can you give me a rough idea of how many will be able to make it?

I am going to attempt to record the talk given by Craig Russell and make it available via the internet. I can't make any promises regarding the other portions, like the meet and greet, etc. Just wanted to put that out there.

Also, the ALBC has generously donated a year's membership as a door prize!

Hope to see you next week!

Quote: It's weird though, it affects my duck the worst. He coughs and the dust flies out of his mouth and then he sometimes wheezes after eating it like it went down the wrong pipe or something.

I was surprised when I read this....last month I bought a bag of Dumar and thought 4 of my hens were getting colds....so I brought them to the back porch and gave them antibiotics...all three seemed fine after a week but one is still wheezing like its allergies....hmmm wonder if it from that feed...

I've been having issues with Dumor Chick Crumbles. Every time everyone is eating it, they start coughing, sneezing, and look like they're having a really hard time swallowing. It seems very dusty and powdery. Has this happened to anyone else?

I use them, but ferment with scratch, so can't help.

It's weird though, it affects my duck the worst. He coughs and the dust flies out of his mouth and then he sometimes wheezes after eating it like it went down the wrong pipe or something.

I was surprised when I read this....last month I bought a bag of Dumar and thought 4 of my hens were getting colds....so I brought them to the back porch and gave them antibiotics...all three seemed fine after a week but one is still wheezing like its allergies....hmmm wonder if it from that feed...

I thought mine were sick too and gave antibiotics (only for a day though). I did a little expirement yesterday though. I put the feed in a butter container and wet it down so it was moist and the problem magically disappeared. You should try it. Just make sure they eat it before it hardens into a block.

RE: American Holland Get-Together next weekend!

I just confirmed our speaker for next weekend! I am so excited to meet everyone who will be making the trip! I want to make sure I have enough printouts and supplies. Can you give me a rough idea of how many will be able to make it?

I am going to attempt to record the talk given by Craig Russell and make it available via the internet. I can't make any promises regarding the other portions, like the meet and greet, etc. Just wanted to put that out there.

Also, the ALBC has generously donated a year's membership as a door prize!

Hope to see you next week!

in case I missed the previous post, where is it and is there a website you could give.

Troyer,
Can you go into detail of why you feed the Milo and millet seed, just curious since these are 2 easily found seeds ( are these not the two types of seed that make up most wild bird feeds)..
My mix is whole corn, wheat and barley...I am looking to add others but the cost has to be low to make it worthwhile.
I would really like to replace some of the barley with field peas but have not found a steady supplier..

I add sunflower when it is found cheaply, but they pick that out like it is candy to them.

I also still top dress with a mill bought Grower feed, about a cup on top of each dish.
I just wanted more nutrient variety in my feed and yes, Millet and Milo are in the wild bird seed mix. I add the sunflower (fat content) as a feather booster for the chickens. It seems from my observation that the feathers are shinier overall when all these things are present. I tried adding barley but they wasted 90% of it, so I quit. I have been on the lookout for split peas , but have not found a good reliable source yet. Mine act like the sunflower is candy also.

Back
Top Bottom