Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Welcome from Cambria county! Breeds I'd suggest are rhodebars (though to find) and ameraucanas. Both breeds are very friendly and lay well. Cochins and silkies are known for being friendly too but they have broody tendencies. I also have 2 golden comets (productions birds). They are extremely friendly and lay hire brown eggs every day.
LOL, Rhodebars aren't hard to find in Montgomery county - yours came from our farm about 5 miles away from the Mont county line. I agree they are good layers.

This whole area has a lot of chicken breeds available, though this time of year the selection is a lot less than in the spring. But I'm sure we can find chickens for anyone that really wants them.

Hello to everyone!

There was a lot to catch up on here...

IMO it looks like a pecking injury, if more show up I'd check into pox.

I think it's an injury too. I inspected all my birds and didn't find anything else. There are two other hens with marks in the exact same spot. They do not appear to be anything other than a scab and there was nothing there yesterday. I googled avain pox and they don't appear the same. I will keep an eye on it though.

I've never used medicated feed for my chicks but after dealing with cocci I'm thinking I should use it since I have a broody hen in the coop. I cleaned everything out and treated with antibiotics but won't the virus still be in the dirt somewhere? I'm new to this so any advice is welcome!

I've never used medicated feed for my chicks but after dealing with cocci I'm thinking I should use it since I have a broody hen in the coop. I cleaned everything out and treated with antibiotics but won't the virus still be in the dirt somewhere? I'm new to this so any advice is welcome!

The coccidia are in the dirt everywhere. The way that chickens catch coccidiosis it is if too many oocysts get into their system. They're a microscopic parasite that feed on intestinal lining. They breed in warm, moist environments (numbers are really high right now because of all of our rain). It's not recommended that you give to broody hens or chicks with the broody hens because they're already being exposed to it in the dirt, AND in their feed, meaning that their systems get overloaded with it and it's a surefire way to give them coccidiosis again. However, if you have baby chicks not being raised with the mother in a brooder that don't have access to outside, medicated feed is fine. However, I personally opt for unmedicated feed even when not raising with broodies and instead I bring them clumps of grass and dirt from my backyard starting at around a week old. That way they learn how to/get nutrients from eating the grass and can find small pebbles for grit. The main part though is to expose them to small amounts of the specific strains of coccidia living in MY soil, so their bodies can build resistance to those strains occordingly. There are 9 strains I'm pretty sure, but anyone's soil may have one or all of them.

Edit; forgot to add that they live in the poop (from the chickens gut) and cocci thrive in muddy runs...
There are always small numbers of cocci in the chickens gut, it becomes a problem if the numbers become too plentiful, kind of like MRSA in a way... everyone has it, but when it becomes active it causes harm.

Hope I helped. :) If anyone sees anything wrong with what I said please feel free to correct it.

Sorry the paragraph is a little poorly worded and has grammar errors, my battery's about to die literally any second.

Last edited:
Welcome to new folks!

I would recommend getting chickens from Dhetzel on here! he is in montgomery county and if its possible to get chickens from local breeders i would recommend this.

I wish I could have ..........but I was being rather selective since I only could get 4 and wanted a certain mixture.

I would also recommend wyandottes! love this breed............silver laced wyandotte or golden laced wyandotte.............and columbian wyandotte is what I have.

I love my welsummer so far.

I have Easter eggers too because I am hoping they will provide me with a blue egg. They are both very different and I love them both.

there are so many good choices!

If you think you might want a certain amount of chickens and then later add a few more..................let me just say the advice I have heard is soo sooo true.............its easier for multiple reasons to get a group of chickens all at the same time.....................same time in and same time out.

It is taking me forever to get my new set of 4 to successfully live with my previous set of 3. If I got them all at the same time......it would have been much easier.........but I just didnt know I was going to go up to 7! .............

Just like Stake and everyone else says...............make sure your coop is bigger than you think you will need...................this is very important. Consider where to put food and water inside and in a way that it will not get pooped on/ in!

ask alot and read alot on here.............I think that is how we all have learned and continue to learn! Hope you have fun are are getting excited!

peeps:

Medicated feed is a preventative, if you flock has it, treat all birds my two cents....

im in montgomery county and want to know where to get my first chickens.....also any breed suggestions, dont need birds for the meat

Last edited:
im in montgomery county and want to know where to get my first chickens.....also any breed suggestions, dont need birds for the meat

Your gonna have to get them from someone on here. Most local feed stores are done selling them. You could always use Google to find a hatchery . Check craigslist. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom