Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ummm, I plan on using them as egg layers not meat.
1f60c.png
I live in the country outside Wilkes Barre.

It was on their own free will (not because of a cat in the coop) that the chicks went exploring outside of the run today. It's funny that they are only seven weeks old! They seem older.
I have one (which is what I suspected from day one) lavender and one lavender cuckoo (It would be so cool if it stays like that!) as well as a lavender back half with black front.

Clearfield Country here. New to the site and to raising chickens. Got 21 chicks to start us as we were told that some would probably die. :( They include silver wyandotte, double laced gold wyandotte, austrolorp, black sexlink, rhode island reds and a mystery breed.

Welcome! I'm sure you're loving on them, you'll be fine, just keep an eye our for anyone looking kind of sleepy or tired looking, not eating/drinking, etc :) every once in a while you lose one though, unfortunately it happens. Just try to remember you did everything you could, and that it's not your fault. We're here to help if you need us!

from NE near Wilkes Barre

Welcome!! Berks county here

We have 3 red Rangers and 3 Asian blues...want Marans and Amerucanas (or any blue egg layers). I will be traveling next week so will want them in May or later if I can find them.

Ummm, I plan on using them as egg layers not meat.
1f60c.png
I live in the country outside Wilkes Barre.

Welcome! Tilly says this because both Red Rangers and Asia blues were developed primarily as strains of broilers that were hardier and more active than commercial cornish crosses :) I believe Asia blues are more "dual purpose" than rangers are, but I'm unsure because they've only been popping up within the last couple years, I haven't actually seen adults in person yet. I've only seen a few things here and there written about them. Most people purchase them as meat birds so let us know how they do as a dual purpose as they get older, I'd definitely monitor feed intake on them because the rangers get pretty hefty!

Well:

The fox got another girl today, one of my adult CCL girls....she just wouldn't stay in the pen and I have not had the opportunity to finish the new pen.....seems like any girl that free ranges gets picked off...,

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. Stupid fox! I had the same problem, I'll try to dig up the videos that helped me with trapping for you :( sounds like it's time for a stake out (no pun intended)

Has anyone dealt with Lancaster Fancy Fowl recently? We placed an order a month ago and heard they changed hands.

I just spoke with the new owner, Michael, on Friday. He bought the business back in January for his wife, and they've had a few challenges with startup. During that huge blizzard we had back in February (there were six foot snow drifts in my backyard!) the power went out on the farm for five days, and they lost not only thousands of eggs but thousands of chicks as well! A lot of breeds were, unfortunately, set back when it came to hatching times. He also said, until the management has been re-tooled, he is expecting to take a few breeds off of the website. (However, they have perhaps the best Ayam Cemanis in the country, as he recently imported some more from Indonesia by way of Germany in order to cut back on inbreeding and strengthen the bloodline overall.)

I've ordered six started pullets from them-- four for me, and two for my mom!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom