Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So we discovered that they have hoof rot. One of them refused to use his front hooves and the little one kept limping. They wouldn't really get up and walk to food but if you brought it to them they demolished it, same with water. We started looking and 3 hooves on one and 2 on the other were pretty gross with it. Our first time dealing with this obviously but I think we did okay. Trimmed everything and cleaned out all of the rot. Wasn't to traumatizing for them we don't think. Probably have to go a little further with the trimming but wanted to make sure we didn't go to far. Then applied the only medicine I could find for it till Monday morning. They seemed happier already and so far are doing much better with us. They really like my hubby and my daughter. Ford actually came out of the house when he saw Rorri walking down to the pen. I still don't know if I should be mad that she sold them to me with foot rot, mad at myself for not realizing something was wrong right away, or if this just happens and I should let it go. All in all it was a good day. Learned a new skill, my constipated chick went poop without crying(on my floor but oh well), both of my roos were sleeping in same side of coop and only a little bit of feather loss, and by the end of the day the goats seamed happier. Oh and I bowled a 160 which is pretty great for me.

Last edited:
So far, just the two. But I say that only because I can't find my night vision-long distance-X-ray glasses.
lol.png
Even if she only hatched two, that would be okay. Enough to have a small brood and entertainment for us. I love having broodys. Entertaining, educational, and she does all the work!
tongue.png

Dheltzel has very nice stock. I wasn't allowed to have a Roo where I lived before either, but I was able to find one a home before it became a problem. I'd say go for it. They are very unique birds, worth the chance.

The Blue egg laying sex links are great chickens too, excellent layers and very hardy. My broody now is one of the sex links, but I think Dheltzel said mine is the first he has seen do that. I guess she feels safe and cozy here.
smile.png

I hope the hatching keeps going well for you! I'm surprised your broody is the sex link, but she must have decided she found a great place to raise chicks! :)

I had a heck of a time finding a home for my OE roo last year, which surprised me since he was quite handsome (imho ;) ). I found a home for my Lav Orp roo a little faster, but it wasn't as easy as I'd have thought! Surprisingly, the one that found a new home the quickest was the Light Brahma, but there just happened to be a lovely person looking to replace her Brahma roo. The whole thing was fairly stressful, not knowing how many of our neighbors were mad at us--nobody said anything bad to our face (some people even said they thought the OE's crows were charming), but the haters were out there. At this point, my plan is to stick with easily sexed chicks, hatchery sexed chicks, or pay more for started birds where the other two options aren't available. I still wish I could have a rooster, though!!

So we discovered that they have hoof rot. One of them refused to use his front hooves and the little one kept limping. They wouldn't really get up and walk to food but if you brought it to them they demolished it, same with water. We started looking and 3 hooves on one and 2 on the other were pretty gross with it. Our first time dealing with this obviously but I think we did okay. Trimmed everything and cleaned out all of the rot. Wasn't to traumatizing for them we don't think. Probably have to go a little further with the trimming but wanted to make sure we didn't go to far. Then applied the only medicine I could find for it till Monday morning. They seemed happier already and so far are doing much better with us. They really like my hubby and my daughter. Ford actually came out of the house when he saw Rorri walking down to the pen. I still don't know if I should be mad that she sold them to me with foot rot, mad at myself for not realizing something was wrong right away, or if this just happens and I should let it go. All in all it was a good day. Learned a new skill, my constipated chick went poop without crying(on my floor but oh well), both of my roos were sleeping in same side of coop and only a little bit of feather loss, and by the end of the day the goats seamed happier. Oh and I bowled a 160 which is pretty great for me.
Wow! I am impressed. Poor little things, I'm glad they have you. Ya got some good looking helpers there, too
1f60a.png

@dheltzel

The first Bielefelder egg!

That's a nice sized egg! Congrats

Thanks! She's a big girl and it took her a bit longer to lay, but she's great. So calm.

Goats must be feeling better. Finally have an appetite and went for a walk around property with kids!

That's great news! They must feel so much better. They will improve much quicker in your hands, I'm sure.

Well it looks like Mama hen is only going to have 2 poults, unless some miracle happens over night. I tried to give her some food and water, but she would only eat a couple bites, and wouldn't take any water. That's okay, I'm glad she will at least get some experience with 2 babies. Not sure what went wrong though. :rolleyes:

Edited for multiple typos. :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom