Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Can any of you guide me to rehoming our rooster? We aren't butchers ourselves yet, and we simply couldn't eat this guy. But he is getting increasingly hostile with my kids, including attacks, and the past couple days he is trying to intimidate me as well. We have gone between rehoming and keeping him for some time, but I think he has to go. This part is very new to me. He was sold to us as an Ameraucana chick in February and seems to display the physical attributes, if that matters.

Can any of you guide me to rehoming our rooster? We aren't butchers ourselves yet, and we simply couldn't eat this guy. But he is getting increasingly hostile with my kids, including attacks, and the past couple days he is trying to intimidate me as well. We have gone between rehoming and keeping him for some time, but I think he has to go. This part is very new to me. He was sold to us as an Ameraucana chick in February and seems to display the physical attributes, if that matters.

You could put him up on Craigslist or pennswoods.net for free. Someone may be interested though he may end up in someone else's freezer.

Went to see my first fair since becoming a bird nut. Was kinda disappointing. There were some clearly sick birds there and I felt pretty bad for the ducks. Did find a few breeds Id like to add to my flock though lol. Added the cow to our morning walks. Going to try and get another today. Fingers crossed
20170827_100753.jpg
20170827_100758.jpg
20170827_101324.jpg
20170827_101342.jpg

Oh and had a Bantam hatch her babies yesterday. Hoping for some more frizzled but it looks like my RIR might have snuck a few in.
20170827_110027.jpg
20170827_110021.jpg

She was nice enough to brood in my giant brooder so at least I know shes safe.

I like the little hutch for the boys...FWIW...my opinion on extra roos... as unpleasant as the task is I feel an owner should process them rather than let them fend for themselves. I would much rather know they went in a quick and humane fashion rather than in an attack by a predator which may only injure them and then cause a much slower death if they manage to escape... Or have them succumb to poor nutrition or exposure. If we made the decision to hatch them then we should take the responsibility to dispatch them also.

I know that, for sure. I was just saying that out of frustration. I don't think I could seriously do that. I did find a much better solution I should have thought of sooner. I just set my automatic coop door to open at a certain time, instead of using the light sensing mode. So everybody is kept inside until 7:30. Noise was barely noticeable this morning.

I don't mind if someone else makes him dinner...we just aren't there yet in our chicken journey.haha

I would take him for processing if my propane stove/scalder was working. If I get it working soon, I can let you know. I completely understand, it's much hard to butcher also if you have raised them from chicks. I was not able to do this a couple of years ago.

I know that, for sure. I was just saying that out of frustration. I don't think I could seriously do that. I did find a much better solution I should have thought of sooner. I just set my automatic coop door to open at a certain time, instead of using the light sensing mode. So everybody is kept inside until 7:30. Noise was barely noticeable this morning.

I would take him for processing if my propane stove/scalder was working. If I get it working soon, I can let you know. I completely understand, it's much hard to butcher also if you have raised them from chicks. I was not able to do this a couple of years ago.

What burbs are you from, Anne? Let me know! We aren't in a HUGE rush but I think I am finally ready to part with him when the solution arises. He has been organically raised +as much free range as we can offer with our recent fox problem.

Hi all!

I have been absent from BYC for a month or 2. It seems like life just keeps getting in the way and I keep plugging along.

The results of our spring chicks from TSC were not exactly like I hoped. Our 12 chicks produced 7 cockerels and 5 pullets. While waiting for them to fill out a bit before butchering the unwanted cockerels, there was a bit of a scuffle which resulted in a severely injured pullet the day before I left for vacation. The rest of the chickens pounced and tried to kill her as soon as she was injured. We ended up butchering her on the spot to end her suffering. That put me down to 4 pullets out of the dozen. Last straw was when one of my remaining pullets got snatched by a fox. So my results are less then what I wanted.
Our extras have been butchered and I am left with my 3 girls and a little fella who is happy to have them. Since they have been integrating into my existing flock for a few months now, I took steps to prepare for it all. We butchered one of our mean roosters but have kept the other because my husband (the one who says we shouldn't name the chickens and get attached) enjoys and is attached to the mean rooster who chases me!
All in all we now have 1 roo, 5 hens, 3 pullets and 1 cockerel (we actually have 2 cockerels, but one is on his way to the local animal auction in the next few weeks.) Our roo has such a high level of aggression and testosterone so I have plans to buy more hens in the next month to help satisfy him. My goal is 20 hens for the roo and cockerel. I am hoping that many hens is enough to keep the hens from being over mated. One of our hens is looking really spotty on her back. I tried a chicken saddle and she hated every second of it. My heart couldn't keep it on her when she looked so pathetic and uncomfortable.

Hope the end of summer is going well for you all!

Last edited:
Hi all!

I have been absent from BYC for a month or 2. It seems like life just keeps getting in the way and I keep plugging along.

The results of our spring chicks from TSC were not exactly like I hoped. Our 12 chicks produced 7 cockerels and 5 pullets. While waiting for them to fill out a bit before butchering the unwanted cockerels, there was a bit of a scuffle which resulted in a severely injured pullet the day before I left for vacation. The rest of the chickens pounced and tried to kill her as soon as she was injured. We ended up butchering her on the spot to end her suffering. That put me down to 4 pullets out of the dozen. Last straw was when one of my remaining pullets got snatched by a fox. So my results are less then what I wanted.
Our extras have been butchered and I am left with my 3 girls and a little fella who is happy to have them. Since they have been integrating into my existing flock for a few months now, I took steps to prepare for it all. We butchered one of our mean roosters but have kept the other because my husband (the one who says we shouldn't name the chickens and get attached) enjoys and is attached to the mean rooster who chases me!
All in all we now have 1 roo, 5 hens, 3 pullets and 1 cockerel (we actually have 2 cockerels, but one is on his way to the local animal auction in the next few weeks.) Our roo has such a high level of aggression and testosterone so I have plans to buy more hens in the next month to help satisfy him. My goal is 20 hens for the roo and cockerel. I am hoping that many hens is enough to keep the hens from being over mated. One of our hens is looking really spotty on her back. I tried a chicken saddle and she hated every second of it. My heart couldn't keep it on her when she looked so pathetic and uncomfortable.

Hope the end of summer is going well for you all!

Wow! What a saga! I hope you can get the extra 12 hens you need :)

Back
Top Bottom