Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

See? Sweet birds.
3B9DBE0A-D6DC-405E-9294-F18912A622AE.jpeg

I have a question about boody: If you do NOT break her, how long will she stay broody? Sunny is broody now. And she is sitting on a wood egg. :p Since it's so cold, I don't want to break her. The nesting box is good place to keep her warm. I just take her out to eat and drink everyday. Will she eventually give up?
What breed is Sunny?

I believe she's the polkie that she got from me... Silkie x polish
OK, then she will be hard to break. If it was a Legbar I would say to give her a week and she will be done.

Very cold today, but lots of eggs laid. The Rees Legbars that were laying consistently up until sometime in October, laid 9 eggs today. These 11 hens are all at least 3 years old, some older. I was going to start a new flock this year until I saw how well they laid last fall. I hatched some late chicks from them, but it looks like they are determined to work for another year before going to pasture. I suspect these hens outlay any of the commercial breeds, they just spread it out over many years, not a bad trait. Their eggs are huge and very blue also. I really want Ameraucanas or Welbars to be my "favorite" breed, but deep down, I know it is the Rees Legbars.

Update on my first ever hatch: 9/13 chickens hatched (One quit early, and 3 weren't fertilized/never got started.) All the non-starters were from Spelke, the copper marans, so I am wondering if Adam is giving her enough attention. She is a feisty gal, and he has reason to be cautious. Also, we had an 8 hour power outage in the middle of incubation (perhaps day 14), and one chick was born with strattled legs. I tried putting a pony tail holder on that, but it did not hold little chicken legs.

Question: the one with the white dot on his head at the bottom of this picture -- is that a boy (came out of a Dennis Olive-egger.)

chick-dot.jpeg

Also as you see I did get 1 lavender chick! I was hoping for 2, but 1/5 is pretty close to odds ratio expectations.
lav-newborn.jpeg

I'm in love with that one -- hope she's a girl.

Update on my first ever hatch: 9/13 chickens hatched (One quit early, and 3 weren't fertilized/never got started.) All the non-starters were from Spelke, the copper marans, so I am wondering if Adam is giving her enough attention. She is a feisty gal, and he has reason to be cautious. Also, we had an 8 hour power outage in the middle of incubation (perhaps day 14), and one chick was born with strattled legs. I tried putting a pony tail holder on that, but it did not hold little chicken legs.

Question: the one with the white dot on his head at the bottom of this picture -- is that a boy (came out of a Dennis Olive-egger.)

View attachment 2508148

Also as you see I did get 1 lavender chick! I was hoping for 2, but 1/5 is pretty close to odds ratio expectations.
View attachment 2508152
I'm in love with that one -- hope she's a girl.
If the dad is black ameraucana, I believe the one with dot is a boy. The lavender chick is gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom