people with house chickens

Pics
I have an OEGB that lives in the house. She plays with the dogs, always charging them then running away! She even went after my vaccum!
lol.png

She is spoiled and will NOT wear her diaper, she flops around on the floor until she gets it off. She will also fuss and fuss at night until we wrap her in her pink blanket and put her in her basket:rolleyes:!
She was hatched under a hen, but I went out there when she was only a few hours old and found her face down in the dirt. I thought she was dead, but when I picked her up she moved. Soooo I popped her in the incubator and here she stayed!
Her name is princess!
tongue.png

23788_2010_0202chickens0034.jpg

mine wont wear a diaper she gets it off then attacks it
roll.png

How different are ducks from chickens? I've made chicken diapers (see instructions in signature.) that you could try. :) I don't have house chickens, but I have let my chickens in the house a couple times with a diaper....when my DM isn't home....
big_smile.png
hide.gif
Thanks for the pattern sweety.

Ducks are not a whole lot different. But they may be shaped a wee bit differently.

We will try out your pattern and see if it works on Daffy.

mine wont wear a diaper she gets it off then attacks it
roll.png

I used to have a Silkie inside, got him a diaper and as soon as I put it on him he through a hissy fit and managed to get out of it.

~ Aspen

Hi folks, I have a sick hen that's staying inside the house with us while she gets better and I wanted to ask those experienced with house chickens which is the best diaper for her. I've found patterns for ones that both slip over the head via a slit in the material... do these stay on better than those that don't slip over the head? And is it better for me to make with velcro to attach around the wings or make it the kind that ties? Thanks.

Hello everyone!! I might possibly have a house chicken soon. I have a hen who resently has a very bad experience with a string, and she no longer has a tongue because of it. I have been syringe feeding her 3 times per day for almost 4 months because she can't eat on her own. She loves coming in the house for her food and to explore. (she's the chicken in my avatar) I found someone here on BYC who sells diapers, and I already have a nice plastic dog house that I can use as a bedtime box for her.

The only thing stopping me from moving her into the house is one of my house cats. I have 3 of them, but one of my naughty boys thinks Sunni (my chicken) is a very fun toy. He tries to sneak up and chase her every chance her gets. Will that ever get better? Will Sunni stand up to him? The last time he pounced her she was only 10 weeks old, and she was quite small. Now she's almost 21 weeks and almost the size of a full grown hen. I'm thinking her size will stop the cat in his tracks, but my mother is convinced that our cat will never get used to her.

Does anyone here have any experience with house cats in this type of situation?

Last edited:
Hi folks, I have a sick hen that's staying inside the house with us while she gets better and I wanted to ask those experienced with house chickens which is the best diaper for her. I've found patterns for ones that both slip over the head via a slit in the material... do these stay on better than those that don't slip over the head? And is it better for me to make with velcro to attach around the wings or make it the kind that ties? Thanks.

Hi
go to page 68 on this thread
and do a search of this thread for diapers.
I have a Japanese Bantam and for her as little as she is , it was difficult to keep a diaper on her. I have the straps one.

I found someone here on BYC that makes and sells diapers for a decent price ($8 - $15) Her username is lovemychix

Her diapers have great reviews, and she has been making them since 2008, so she has a lot of expierence with making them to stay on and fit right.

Last edited:
Another question I have. (sorry for all of the questions) Do chickens like living in the house? Or is it just something they tolerate? Sunni had lived outside the entire 5 months of her life, and I wondered if moving her inside would be stressful or enjoyable for her, and how do chickens do without other chickens around? She would still go outside with me once or twice per day, but for the most part she would be in the house.

Im really sorry for all of the questions, but I really want to do what's right for Sunni. She gets bored outside right now, because she can't eat, drink, or pick for bugs like the other chickens. I think she would have more fun inside, but I worry about her getting stressed out without other chickens around. :/ Will she?

Last edited:
Another question I have. (sorry for all of the questions) Do chickens like living in the house? Or is it just something they tolerate? Sunni had lived outside the entire 5 months of her life, and I wondered if moving her inside would be stressful or enjoyable for her, and how do chickens do without other chickens around? She would still go outside with me once or twice per day, but for the most part she would be in the house.

Im really sorry for all of the questions, but I really want to do what's right for Sunni. She gets bored outside right now, because she can't eat, drink, or pick for bugs like the other chickens. I think she would have more fun inside, but I worry about her getting stressed out without other chickens around.
hmm.png
Will she?

I think it is hard to say until you try it. Whispers was injured and she stayed indoors. When she was out she hurt too much to enjoy it.
But when she got better she did fine. She still comes in through the screen for treats.
Your girl may follow you around especially if you have meat.
She just may fit in just fine.

Back
Top Bottom