people with house chickens

well let me begin saying hi everyone... My chicken is name Salt well she died Monday on march 3 2014 she was hatched out by me on april, 1995 she had a wonderful life I baby her just like she was part of family..she slept in a play pen at nite.. she would go in and out of house through our doggie door.. if you would call her name 100 times she would answer WHAT!!!! a lot of people don't realize chickens..are smarter than we give the credit for...but my chicken showed her love to me and I sure did show mind to her..the day we burial.. My cat ran out of the house..and walked with my husband to say last good bye to his friend ...But before he got back into the house he got run over by a car so we burial my two sweet family pet....Im so heart broken..no other chicken or cat can take their place... I guess I just wanted to share my story with ya hope yall don't mind

well let me begin saying hi everyone... My chicken is name Salt well she died Monday on march 3 2014 she was hatched out by me on april, 1995 she had a wonderful life I baby her just like she was part of family..she slept in a play pen at nite.. she would go in and out of house through our doggie door.. if you would call her name 100 times she would answer WHAT!!!! a lot of people don't realize chickens..are smarter than we give the credit for...but my chicken showed her love to me and I sure did show mind to her..the day we burial.. My cat ran out of the house..and walked with my husband to say last good bye to his friend ...But before he got back into the house he got run over by a car so we burial my two sweet family pet....Im so heart broken..no other chicken or cat can take their place... I guess I just wanted to share my story with ya hope yall don't mind
What a terrible day! I hope you can find some comfort

I line them with pantyliners. It takes about 5 for his diaper, then at night I take out the liners and the diaper is still clean.

I go threw 3-4 tissues a day

Oh my gosh.... I'm so so so sorry! Big huge hug!!!! Hope your doing well with everything. Your right. Hickeys are so smart and people don't give them credit. Sending positive vibes to you tonight

Hi Joanie and welcome,
Tjhat is an awful thing to have happen. I can;t even imagine what you must be going through....I know what you mean about chickens being super smart. I hate it when people say they are just dumb birds. So not true. I sit outside with my "kids" and it never seems to amaze me how they instinctively know when something dangerous is coming. Without even sounding the aerial predator trill, they would all look up instantly and react. Good thing too as we live in the forest. We have every known predator, bears, cougar, raccoon, skunk, porcupine, and a strange little weasely animal called a miink that I had never even heard of before I married my husband and moved here. Anywho I wish rhere was a way to get over the pain of losing a friend/pet but unfortunately I hear people say it just takes time....and others say you never fully get over it...Either way when the time is right to get another pet you will know, in the meantime feel free to drop in anytime someone is always around. Take care and good luck.

Hi,

did you get it from louisescountrycloset ? on ebay?
Even on my smallest chicken the diaper isn't too heavy. The ones I bought have a small V cut at the top of the poop catching part of the diaper and the tail sets snuggley in the V. The entire cup shaped portion for catching poo is snug to their body.
From your pics it looks like it fits. I am going to try to do a video and then post a link.
I'm only having trouble with one because it is a little too long for my hens body.

Welcome to the group. I'm a new chick mommy (they're still in a brooder) but am not new to losing other pets. I have a whole cemetary up in our woods. They take a piece of our hearts with them, but miraculously, our hearts must keep growing because we eventually have room for more. We never "get over it" but we do let others in eventually. Take care, and I hope you feel better soon by thinking about all the joy they brought to you.

Yes, I got it from there. It is too heavy for him because he isn't full grown and he is very small for his breed/age. I got a diaper from chickendiapers.com to work. They are really the best for him.

Wow I haven't posted in a while! How is everyone doing?
Well would you know what..... Ebony is molting! She's such a weirdo. I'm actually really glad though because she was overdue for a molt and her feathers were getting kinda grungy. She's usually so fluffy and huge that it's weird to see her this small and scrawny! She's such a wimp without her feathers that after 5 minutes of being outside she's at the door begging to come back in. It's definitely an experience for both of us!

I'm doing good. Instead of moving to Arizona/Utah like we were supposed to, we are moving to New Hampshire which is only an HOUR away from our house! (a little more than an hour actually.)
It is 50 degrees today, so all the ducks are having baths and im planning to bring out Finn with a leash on.

Finn has never molted yet. When do they start?

Back
Top Bottom