people with house chickens

Well my "baby" Minnie who has some amazing leg strength has been jumping from the floor of my rubbermaid brooder out to the lid and freaks out when I say get your "fuzzy butt back in there!!" She runs in a circle flapping her little wings and hops back in soooo hysterically funny :lau
I'm having a funny feeling "she" is a "he"!

Thanks Theresa!!! How's my favorite sis?
smile.png

Really looking forward to seeing your babies also! Did I read correctly that you had SIX hens go broody?

Hey Bro,
No, no just three broodies, but seems like every time i turn around one or more goes broody. This time it was three within a week I had three hens all squashed into one nest box.And this is a triplex so they had two other boxes to choose from.So I managed to get little Hopey-Doo (Hope) out and set her on two eggs of her sisters. It sucks though because in my eyes she's still my baby but she is determined to be a big girl now. Oh yeah, on a bad note, I lost another Guinea. They are all grown up now and laying eggs. When they go to set on anest though inthe woods, they tend to get picked off by predators of which we have every one you could imagine. We have bobcats within 100 ft of my porch. And bears drag salmon out of the creek up behind my house sometimes. Thats why we have to always be armed when we work in the yard or go for walks. I'm not trying to be some big hairy creatures lunch. Anywho, howz things where your at? Too bad about the Ft. Hood Shooting, I just saw it on the news right now and hope you guys arent anywhere near that crap. Well gotta go chase chickens and check nests, Im starting to get impatient. I fee; dumb,I didn't write the exact date I set the eggs and when I went to write it down on the calendar I couldn't remember the exact date. Also I didin't candle because I dont know if they are too old to move anymore. I've got butterfllies. I have five eggs from Faith or Hope and about four from Pepper.So excited I feel like a little kid at christmas. . Now watch It'll all be for nothing and nothing will be fertile. I let all three hens set in case one bails on me or something..Anyway I guess that's most of the news here, and then some....Give Roscoe a hug for me and bring on more pictures....How many chickens do you have now? I lost track....Talk to you later.
Theresa

Hey Bro,
No, no just three broodies, but seems like every time i turn around one or more goes broody. This time it was three within a week I had three hens all squashed into one nest box.And this is a  triplex so they had two other boxes to choose from.So I managed to get little Hopey-Doo (Hope) out and set her on two eggs of her sisters. It sucks though because in my eyes she's still my baby but she is determined to be a big girl now. Oh yeah, on a bad note, I lost another Guinea. They are all grown up now and laying eggs. When they go to set on anest though inthe woods, they tend to get picked off by predators of which we have every one you could imagine. We have bobcats within 100 ft of my porch. And bears drag salmon out of the creek up behind my house sometimes. Thats why we have to always be armed when we work in the yard or go for walks. I'm not trying to be some big hairy creatures lunch. Anywho, howz things where your at? Too bad about the Ft. Hood  Shooting, I just saw it on the news right now  and hope you guys arent anywhere near that crap. Well gotta go chase chickens and check nests, Im starting to get impatient.  I fee; dumb,I didn't write the exact date I set the eggs and when I went to write it down on the calendar I couldn't remember the exact date. Also I didin't candle because I dont know if they are too old to move anymore. I've got butterfllies.  I have five eggs from Faith or Hope and about four from Pepper.So excited I feel like a little kid at christmas. . Now watch  It'll all be for nothing and nothing will be fertile. I let all three  hens set in case one bails on me or something..Anyway I guess that's most of the news here, and then some....Give Roscoe a hug for me and bring on more pictures....How many chickens do you have now? I lost track....Talk to you later.
Theresa                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Wow! I didn't even hear about the shooting until you mentioned it! Yeah, it's far away from me. I work in Austin, so no worries :)

So sorry to hear about your guinea :( it never gets any easier, does it? They sure are awesome little birds, though. I wish I had some! They have grown to be so beautiful!

Things are good around here! People just can't get enough of my Sizzilkies! I have hatched 19 so far, and other than the 3 I'm keeping, they're all spoken for! My little Polka Dot can't fire them out fast enough!

In total, I've got Phantom & Polka Dot, Enzo (MGB who thinks she's a velociraptor), Sterling (splash Silkie - my first hatch), Brutus the little white Serama, 3 of the babies (Puffball, Snow Leopard, StripeyFace), and 3 more Serama babies. Yes, they all live in the house. Haha.

Roscoe is doing fantastically, and I'll give him extra hugs for you!

Oh! And I did get one new chicken today:

His name is Fritz, and my awesome fiancée Alexis made him out of thin air (and some yarn). No pattern or anything. She's awesome.

OMG y'all make me miss my Buff Orpington, Big Mamma, soo much
1f622.png
. As chicks her & her sisters were kept in the house b/c it was still to cold outside for them which gave me time to build their coop/run (my hubby came home & surprised me w/ them one day). Anyways, they were grown they were basically were free range & one afternoon it was nice out & opened the windows & doors. Big Momma found her way into the back tool/storage room & somehow sliced her toe open! I flipped out called hubby yelling at him for not have his saws/blades put up where they should have been & told him what happen. Unbelievably he left work & rushed home to see what had happened. We got her all cleaned up & a nice bed set up for her b/c I wasn't chancing her getting it infected outside. She became VERY cozy in the house w/ us & tolerated my 4yr old loving all over her lol & healed up nicely. When it came time for her to go back outside she outright refused! She ran from all the other hens & roo straight back inside the house & plopped her big butt in my chair looking at me like I was crazy
1f602.png
! After that I couldn't force her to go back out so I had to diapers made for which was a nightmare to find somebody that didn't look at me crazy when I asked if they sold them lol! She ended up never wearing them & would go to a puppy pad to potty! I never trained her to do this she just did it in her own, she was a VERY smart girl. As the weather cooled she wanted to go out alittle more & run around which made me happy. One morning before bringing my son to pre-k I went out & gave them a treat & just wanted to check on them since I had a busy day. When I had gotten home they heard my truck & came running as usual but didn't see 3 of my buffs. I didn't worry to much thinking they were in the coop being their piggy selves. Next morning after comin home from dropping my son off at school I still didn't see them & got worried. I looked everywhere to find feathers spread over the woods! It was close to my food plot where I had my trailcam so I changed the card & was devastated when I looked at the pics! A young bobcat had taken my babies at 10:30am!! I search & hunted that bobie for days wanted revenge! About a wk later I couldn't sleep & went to the kitchen to find a snack & heard my guinea going nuts! I ran outside to see 2 glowing yellow eyes so I ran back inside to grab my gun. Hoping he was still there I turned off my backporch light so I could see clearly through my scope & turned on my rifle light. Sure enough he was still there trying to get my Guinea & 2 rock hens. Needless to say he won't be bothering anymore chickens & is being mounted. I never realized how much I love that chicken until that happened. My hubby couldn't stand seeing me heartbroken like that & after waiting a couple of mths for me to heal he got a silver laced polish hen that adores me as much as I adore her. I'll never have another Big Momma but I have loads of memories & pics to talk about!

Thanks guys :)

I'm really happy with the way these babies turned out! As you've seen, I get a wide range of colors and feathers from mama and daddy. It's such a cool thing when they hatch, cause I never know who's gonna come out!

@Phantom: Brutus is SOOO handsome! Your chicks have to be adorable in whatever combination...

@Crystal R: Sorry for your loss, glad you got that derned bobcat! Chickens are so easy to love and so fun to raise :)

My kitten loves the babies, she caught the splash Maran pooping on the floor. The look on the kitty's face was priceless
I laughed so darn hard. Shadow kitty loves on the babies and follows them around too. When they were tiny she would
hang out on the lid and watch them. It was also very warm there lol it is in the 70's outside so we go outside daily. I just need to make them a playpen!
free ranging chicks stinks ugghhh

Back
Top Bottom