Permethrin spray

Quote: Not to mention the 'side effects' of dust all over and everyone breathing it.
Hopefully mites don't appear when it's too cold to get birds a little wet.
Think I might have to get some... Saw evidence today that I might have some mites.
somad.gif

-Kathy

I've been dealing with mites, and the coop cleanout fiasco.  Rather than loading the litter into the manure spreader to move far away, it was spread around near the coop!  So much for getting the little beasts out of reach!  I have Gordon's Permethrin 10 concentrate, from TSC.  It comes in various sizes, mine is 8 oz, and will make huge amounts of spray for the birds and coop.  It's a 1:200 dilution for poultry!  I'll follow up with a report on mites after checking birds tonight.  My Chantie cock seems to have the most of any of the birds.  UGH!  Mary
We use the same spray. We've been raising fowl for two years and have never had mites. I spray it everywhere. It doesn't harm my chickens, ducks or quail, but I don't spray it on the quail-just around the bottom of their raised pens. We use it, bc flies are disgustingly bad here. I also give the quail and chickens dust baths and use a mix of peat moss, play sand and DE. DE
will help keep mites away, too. I put the DE in the chickens nest boxes. My hens nest on straw in wooden nest boxes.Once a week, the hens get a treat of a variety of fresh herbs along with dandelions, marigolds & lavender in season. I mix them all up, and sprinkle in the next boxes. They LOVE it.Some of the herbs are preventatives,too; and it's great,bc it's all natural and safe.

I INTENSELY dislike those house wrens or whatever they are, who get into my coop to eat the chicken feed, and share their mites! Mary
Grrrr......that's a tough one. Have you tried one of those strip curtains on your pop door?

Am grateful they haven't found their way into the coop and are only very rarely in the run.
I've changed they way I distribute scratch in the run in the mornings, keeping it in the middle so the chooks clean it all up leaving none for the thieving songbirds or the mice/chipmunks/ground squirrels for that matter. I also stopped my occasional(in winter) feeding of the wild birds once I got chickens.

We use the same spray. We've been raising fowl for two years and have never had mites. I spray it everywhere. It doesn't harm my chickens, ducks or quail, but I don't spray it on the quail-just around the bottom of their raised pens. We use it, bc flies are disgustingly bad here.
Hopefully your copious preventative use of the permethrin does not create a resistance to it.

Another follow up on the mite story; last evening NO MITES seen on my roosting birds! The sample examined were all clean. Love that spray! Mary
Great!
Will you respray coop after a certain interval to get any newly hatched mites...or does the spray or residual spray kill the mite eggs too?

Back
Top Bottom