Petting

If you want a breed that doesn't mind being handled then search around the nurseries and get some Rhode Island Whites. They are not easy to find but a few of the hatcheries have them a couple times a year. They totally don't mind being picked up like described earlier, you put your hand below them and move it toward their belly and they will step up on your hand and let you show them off. They are a beautiful white bird that lays large brown eggs.

Here's a group of 6 week old chicks getting a drink out of their water cup.

The picture was shoot from above, they have the water cups figured out well.

Really nice chicks you have there!
They are beautifull!
big_smile.png

So my husband and I spent about an hour snuggling various members of our flock last night and at first they didn't seem to care for it, but by the end of just one hour they didn't seem to mind it as much. So I guess we'll just work on it nightly after the kids go to bed-not sure my 3 yr old and my 16 month old would be gentle enough for them to snuggle chickies yet.
On a side note-snuggling baby chicks ruined chicken nuggets for me...wow, not sure I can eat chicken for awhile or ever lol...

Oh, I am glad it worked out for you, some chickens never get used to it...
How many Chickens have you got now and how many chicks?

Oh, I am glad it worked out for you, some chickens never get used to it...
How many Chickens have you got now and how many chicks?

This is our first batch of chicks. I ordered 4 pullets but since they weren't sure whether the Columbian Wyandotte was a pullet they gave me three...so I have 3 Columbian Wyandottes, 1 White Wyandotte, and 2 Speckled Sussex.

I have 19 10-14 day old chicks, i never knew you are supposed to lift them from from underneath and if you lift them from above its scares them, oops, lol
D.gif

All the chicks will run to my hands and feed out of them apart from 1 who doesn't like coming to close, i think spending more time with it will help. I love it when they all run to me and jump all over my hands getting food, but its always in the back of my mind that half of them will be roo's and will have to go.

My other 4 chickens i bought at 15 weeks old, they had never been handled and i never handled them much when i got them because i didn't know how to, all will come running when i have food, only 1 will take food out of my hand and another has done it twice.

I enjoy my chickens and look forward to caring for them everyday
D.gif
wee.gif
D.gif

This is our first batch of chicks. I ordered 4 pullets but since they weren't sure whether the Columbian Wyandotte was a pullet they gave me three...so I have 3 Columbian Wyandottes, 1 White Wyandotte, and 2 Speckled Sussex.
Nice breeds and very pretty chicks too!
Are you having fun with them so far, do your kids enjoy them?

I have 19 10-14 day old chicks, i never knew you are supposed to lift them from from underneath and if you lift them from above its scares them, oops, lol
D.gif

All the chicks will run to my hands and feed out of them apart from 1 who doesn't like coming to close, i think spending more time with it will help. I love it when they all run to me and jump all over my hands getting food, but its always in the back of my mind that half of them will be roo's and will have to go.

My other 4 chickens i bought at 15 weeks old, they had never been handled and i never handled them much when i got them because i didn't know how to, all will come running when i have food, only 1 will take food out of my hand and another has done it twice.

I enjoy my chickens and look forward to caring for them everyday
D.gif
wee.gif
D.gif
I am sure if they get used to you picking them up from above they wont get scared, i just think if it was me, i wouldnt want a giant hand grabbing me from above, then again i wouldnt really want a giant hand grabbing me at all.
tongue.png

If they havent been handled from when they are little, i find that it is pretty hard to get them to trust you again but it is possible, i am glad you are enjoying your chickens, arent they fun?

Nice breeds and very pretty chicks too!
Are you having fun with them so far, do your kids enjoy them?

Yes my kids adore them! My three yr old asks all day if she can go see the chicks and my 16mo old does a dance and sings "chika-chika-chika" whenever she sees them. I don't let them see them all the time just because neither of my girls understand the word "quiet" lol

Haha, chika chika chika? That is adorable! :D
Are they gentle with them or do they like to squeeze them a bit? :p

Back
Top Bottom