Pheasant and Winter

Oldstyle244

Hatching
Feb 5, 2020
I bought my first pheasants (ringneck) a few months back, I ended up with 2 cocks and 1 hen; they are big and beautiful. I have them in a roughly 10X20 foot chicken pen. I've let the grass grow up so they can "hide" and I build 2 enclosures for them to sit under to keep them out of the wind/rain (only 3 directions blocked).

Anyway, I live in Dallas Texas area and wondering how they will do in the winter time? Are they hardy in the winter (I would assume so in the wild).

I bought my first pheasants (ringneck) a few months back, I ended up with 2 cocks and 1 hen; they are big and beautiful. I have them in a roughly 10X20 foot chicken pen. I've let the grass grow up so they can "hide" and I build 2 enclosures for them to sit under to keep them out of the wind/rain (only 3 directions blocked).

Anyway, I live in Dallas Texas area and wondering how they will do in the winter time? Are they hardy in the winter (I would assume so in the wild).
As long as they have an area to get out of the weather, they will do just fine. Don't let them have muddy, or standing water in the pen. Make sure they have an area that is dry and draft free.
I use to live north of Dallas, so I know what kind of weather they have up there.
Feed them scratch grains in really cold or prolonged periods of extreme cold...helps to keep their core temperature up during the cold nights.

You will have to separate the 2 males before spring....come breeding season they will fight for the right to mate with the hen as well as become territorial.

As long as they have an area to get out of the weather, they will do just fine. Don't let them have muddy, or standing water in the pen. Make sure they have an area that is dry and draft free.
I use to live north of Dallas, so I know what kind of weather they have up there.
Feed them scratch grains in really cold or prolonged periods of extreme cold...helps to keep their core temperature up during the cold nights.

You will have to separate the 2 males before spring....come breeding season they will fight for the right to mate with the hen as well as become territorial.
Thank you! I am thinking one of the males will eventually become dinner, I have been hesitant as I fear as soon as I clean one, the other one will die for some odd reason and I will be left with just a hen. I've taken out a rowdy rooster (chicken) or two only to have that happen lol

Back
Top Bottom