Releasing Pheasant

Can you wait until the corn field is harvested? I have read devastating stories in my area of pheasants being killed during harvest time.
It's illegal to keep them penned without a license here. I didn't know that until I researched it. Hopefully they will stick to the woods/pasture......our woods is connected to woods that go on for miles.

Plus, my husband is against penning them thus adding to my chores every morning/evening. All I can do is hope for the best, but reading up on pen-raised/released pheasants, I realize not many even make it through the first winter. I'm starting to think this practice should be prohibited but I know many people are releasing them to hunt right away. What a sad fate.

We had an obviously pen raised cock pheasant literally at our door today! So unafraid of people acted like a lost soul...
The DNR is releasing farm raised birds several miles from here, at Rose Lake wildlife area, so he might have traveled from there? maybe?
IMG_0390 (2).JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

Flock Raiser okay, offered away from the house?
Mary

We had an obviously pen raised cock pheasant literally at our door today! So unafraid of people acted like a lost soul...
The DNR is releasing farm raised birds several miles from here, at Rose Lake wildlife area, so he might have traveled from there? maybe?
View attachment 3284190
View attachment 3284195
Flock Raiser okay, offered away from the house?
Mary
He obviously saw your 'yardbird' on the patio table and came over to check it out! :lau
Personally, I wouldn't put out anything for it, maybe water but that's about all... it needs to find food, shelter for his self....if he wants to survive. Flock Raiser would be ok, if you don't intend to try and capture and confine it, if you plan on confining it, then a complete and balanced Gamebird feed ration of 24% protein, should be given.

I'm not interested in confining him, really don't have adequate housing for pheasants. There's a lot to eat out there now, hope he makes it!
We have one four or five acre field that never was mowed this year, so tall grasses and good cover. Hope he figures it out, it's next to our pond. We're really in a drought now, so limited water sources except for the pond.
Mary

I'm not interested in confining him, really don't have adequate housing for pheasants. There's a lot to eat out there now, hope he makes it!
We have one four or five acre field that never was mowed this year, so tall grasses and good cover. Hope he figures it out, it's next to our pond. We're really in a drought now, so limited water sources except for the pond.
Mary
Poor little feller wants to be a house pheasant.

I dont get why people buy them to release them...seems like a waste of money, a friend bought 30 this year to raise for meat and all thats left are 2 they are not eay to raise cant imagine them staying alive in the wild. Something will hunt them

Yesterday 'our pheasant' was back at the house! I walked within six feet of him, and he just watched me. Eating stuff as he walked through the shrubs and flowers, and spent time looking in a window.
Anyone know if pheasants die fast with AI, or if they are resistant and so good spreaders?
More pictures later...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom