Releasing Pheasant

Yesterday 'our pheasant' was back at the house! I walked within six feet of him, and he just watched me. Eating stuff as he walked through the shrubs and flowers, and spent time looking in a window.
Anyone know if pheasants die fast with AI, or if they are resistant and so good spreaders?
More pictures later...
Mary
Just adopt him already..!

Yesterday 'our pheasant' was back at the house! I walked within six feet of him, and he just watched me. Eating stuff as he walked through the shrubs and flowers, and spent time looking in a window.
Anyone know if pheasants die fast with AI, or if they are resistant and so good spreaders?
More pictures later...
Mary
Well, if he's made it this long, he must be finding food, water, and a roosting spot(s). As winter is coming on, I'd try and keep some food out for him, seeing as he hasn't moved on!
No, pheasants aren't resistant to AI and if they get it they wouldn't last long enough to be a spreader.

ETA: I'd be more worried about my chickens spreading a disease to the pheasant.

Last edited:
IMG_0404.JPG

Here he is, walking across the parking pad in front of the garage.
IMG_0409.JPG

On his way to the east basement window, where he snacked and looked inside for maybe 30 minutes.
Beautiful!
I was going to let our chickens outside, but changed the plan while he's visiting.
Mary

View attachment 3300980
Here he is, walking across the parking pad in front of the garage.
View attachment 3300981
On his way to the east basement window, where he snacked and looked inside for maybe 30 minutes.
Beautiful!
I was going to let our chickens outside, but changed the plan while he's visiting.
Mary
I wonder if he's looking at his reflection since he doesn't have any pheasant friends.

Almost 100% of birds released will die from predation or hunting. Raising birds to release is for sporting now population building. To build a population you have to use area

wild caught birds and be very tedious in your program to retain wild genetics and characteristics.
States release birds for stocking all over. Its a known fact most dont survive a year, if they do, they dont repopulate. Way way way more to it to make a WMA for game birds, sole stocking wont help.

Back
Top Bottom