Pheasant chat and hatch-a-long!!!

Merry Christmas to you too!

it isn't so bad for me if I let a few of the pens set idle, the native foliage will regrow, so I don't have to replant everything, every year.
I
have really scaled back on my inventory of birds, so rotating pens has become easier to keep the vegetation in the pens.

Mine are that way year round. Middle of December and they are still displaying but my Goldens and Amherst do that year round....like they don't know they are not suppose to be displaying. :lau
Haven't quite been able to figure out this behavior or why it's a continuous breeding season all year long. The hens aren't laying and are not interested in the males displaying or advances. I used to think it was weather related but that's not the case....idk?
You know my geese (Not Chinese) are lying right now. And fertile. They started in Novemeber. So bizarre. I think all of the critters have lost their minds.

Got my first pheasant egg of the year, today, a Peach but unfortunately, it isn't fertile, she rejected the male that I put in with her last November...rejected as in, fought him and kept him on a perch. :(
Going to try again with a different male....it may be too late, though! :fl

I’ve gotten 3 or 4 so far over the last month……im resisting the temptation to incubate because we’re moving in a couple weeks and I’m not set up to move the pheasants 🙈
I will have to start over in the gamebird department once I get everything arranged.

New pheasant Hatcher here :frow

I set 22 for my husband on the 11th, and was not very optimistic. I candled tonight and hell if those babies aren’t going strong! I only had to pull three, I’m shocked! That is better than my chicken hatching at this point 🥴

What do we feed these little nuggets? Is all flock acceptable? Thanks my feathered friends :fl

New pheasant Hatcher here :frow

I set 22 for my husband on the 11th, and was not very optimistic. I candled tonight and hell if those babies aren’t going strong! I only had to pull three, I’m shocked! That is better than my chicken hatching at this point 🥴

What do we feed these little nuggets? Is all flock acceptable? Thanks my feathered friends :fl
If you can find it, a gamebird feed ration of at least 24% protein is recommended (crumbles) not pellets. If you can't find a gamebird feed, then a Turkey starter will work, it's usually 28 to 30% protein.
Good luck and happy hatching! :jumpy

Finally, set my 1st eggs of the season today, Buff ringnecked, Red Golden, Yellow Golden, Peach Golden, Silver Golden, Abyssinan Blue ringnecked, Mongolian, Persan, Stranch, Elliott, Amherst and Ijima Copper. Phew!!!!
Do you have pictures of your breeders? I love living vicariously through y’all. lol

Finally, set my 1st eggs of the season today, Buff ringnecked, Red Golden, Yellow Golden, Peach Golden, Silver Golden, Abyssinan Blue ringnecked, Mongolian, Persan, Stranch, Elliott, Amherst and Ijima Copper. Phew!!!!
security watching GIF

Back
Top Bottom