Pheasants Questions - Help

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
NY
HELP

I must admit I never paisd any attention to these birds what so ever..
I know some one who wants yellow & red golden Pheasants

Can these be shown at poultry shows???
If so where would they find out about getting Quality eggs????
How old should they be to show????

Last edited:
We raise them but have never shown them or heard of any shows.. they are very flighty, do not calm down or become easy to handle like the bigger pheasants, our silvers are alot easier to handle, but they are gorgeous, easy to winter and have around not to much up-keep involved.... mostly they are raised for their fly-tying feathers.. fishermen love to buy the pelts
tongue.png

I have two golden males and i love them. They are not flightly. I haven;t had them since they hatched, I'm sure if you do they would be friendly. They are good birds for a beginner. I know my poultry club let people show gamebirds. They come into their full colors at 2 years old.

Yes, they can be shown at show, I saw a couple at my last 4-H fair there wasnt many.

Try finding some people on BYC that sell hatching eggs im sure youll find someone.

See.. you just gotta handle them
tongue.png

I know our goldens, dark throated, revees and lady amhearst if you try to catch them they take off, course we do not handle them much.. the silvers let you pick them up and handle them like a chicken, so do the melanistic mutants but the ringnecks and snows are not quite as easy going..
big_smile.png

Years back my starter pheasants were red goldens, they would set and hatch their own eggs and walk around on the yard with their chicks just like a chicken..If I were looking for quaility goldens I would find a breeder with f1 or f2's from imports. theres not as many pure goldens being bred in captivity as you would think.
Most game bird breeder associations holds shows every year

Back
Top Bottom