Pheasants??

Hedgeland Farms

Crowing
May 5, 2022
Southern Illinois
Help please...
My hubby brought me home a baby pheasant. Said its 6wks...but it looks like 4 wks...(was hatched with others 2x his size.

Any info would be appreciated...

He was thinking i could raise it with my 3 chicks

Attachments

• 20230605_160246.jpg
    20230605_160246.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 330
I dont have any at the moment but plan to grab some on wednesday...is that too late??
It should be fine on your chick starter/grower until Wednesday but yes they require a higher protein level such as a turkey/gamebird starter or an all-flock crumble. It is also a ringneck pheasant which typically requires a DNR permit to keep (check your state requirements). Pheasants can be tamed but are much more flighty than chickens and cannot be free-ranged nor coop-trained. Like other gamebirds, they ideally should not be kept with chickens. They should have a fully enclosed area of their own with room to move around. You may be able to get a better idea of sex in another 4-6 weeks if you post new photos. Any other questions, feel free to ask and @007Sean will probably have much more advice once he pops in!

It should be fine on your chick starter/grower until Wednesday but yes they require a higher protein level such as a turkey/gamebird starter or an all-flock crumble. It is also a ringneck pheasant which typically requires a DNR permit to keep (check your state requirements). Pheasants can be tamed but are much more flighty than chickens and cannot be free-ranged nor coop-trained. Like other gamebirds, they ideally should not be kept with chickens. They should have a fully enclosed area of their own with room to move around. You may be able to get a better idea of sex in another 4-6 weeks if you post new photos. Any other questions, feel free to ask and @007Sean will probably have much more advice once he pops in!

Thank you so much! My husband brought it home pheasant farm?!?! They are raised up, then released for hunting. This guy was a runt and clearly getting picked on. We are thinking of raising and releasing as we have no desire to get anymore nor do we really have a separate set up for it currently ...and cant see building one for one single bird. Hubby said that they were gonna kill it...and hubby being hubby steppes up to bring it home...(we are no good together i tell ya!!! 🤣🤣🤣)

Thoughts on raise and release??? I didnt realize i needed a permit but most definetly planned to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom