(Pics)HELP, Am I crazy?? Chicken has not laid egg, no Signs off egg binding, or lethargy!!!

redrstr29

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
I have had more problems withe these 4 hens I bought @ auction, LESSON LEARNED, 1 I processed had HUGE tumors around her ovaries, the other had no ovaries (well they were tiny , she must have been old) Now this other one, I externally palpated her about 3 weeks ago and felt an egg, it has moved up toward the vent, it has to be an egg, she goes to the nest box some days and doesn't lay, acts totally normal, eats, drinks, etc, no signs of egg binding, no lethargy, She has gotten very red also, like shes coming back into lay, i mean this egg has to be ready, unless shes trying to hard boil it
th.gif
. I should just let her be, but seeing that I have 8 other Red Star pullets that aren't laying (YET) but squatting, I got them were I should of gone in the first place, I am getting no eggs... I just want to know whats up.. Anyone eggsperienced these problems or seen this? Or am I totally loosing it, Any Input will be appreciated, Oh and the 4th auction hen just eats and eats no eggs, but I can fit almost 3 fingers between her hip? bones as wiell as this one, I just want to get my flock straightened out!!
he.gif

Thank You,
Aldo

Last edited:
Hi,
Not sure about the egg bound chicken, but as for your Red Star pullets, they are squatting because they want to be mated which is a sure sign that laying is just around the corner.

If you wish to be pragmatic about things - those hens not laying (but i assume are of an age where they should be) could be introduced the slow cooker - personally i would do that as feed / maintenance is only worth the effort when you have wonderful eggs to eat. I appreciate you may not wish to consider this option, so please don't be offended by what i have suggested.

Good luck!

CT

Lol..... I'm not offended at all... I've processed thousands.... I just am xurious wth is goin on ... I've had red stars many many many times in the past but they never made it in my household past two years I always process before any problems.... and I'm just aggravated that these ones I got from auction are horrible. Thank you for your info..:p:D

Thanks, shes quiet, forages well, comes up to the house, visits neighbors, does her "thang" I just wish she would lay lol. It's like wth!! are you sick, are you gonna get sick, once I start working again, I can't deal with this non sense
hu.gif
. I mean whats one more mouth to feed, but I guess it adds up, maybe i'll wait it out and see if her health starts to decline, at that point i'll make a decision.

Aldo

I think she might have to go, shes acted different today, and her rump/bottom seems swollen. UGH
he.gif
barnie.gif
She seemed to be resting more and not as active!!

Back
Top Bottom