Pics of the INSIDE of coops?

watchdogps

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Central Ohio
I'm trying to get a feel for what I need to build at some point, and I see a bazillion pics of coops, but no pics of the inside of them. Could you guys please post some photos of the inside of your coops? I'm trying to see how the nest boxes and roosts and stuff are arranged.

Mine is a noobie effort, but if it helps..

nest boxes:
P1010226.jpg

rest of coop before auto door and more vents and windows added:
P1000238.jpg

auto door:
51848_imag0020.jpg

Last edited:
25976_p120111_1553.jpg

Artwork! They fight over the spot closest to Miro's Rooster. The red hen loves that painting. Roosts of different heights and choices for all chickens to roost SOMEWHERE.

25976_p070211_1258.jpg

Our little shed gets wet just inside the door. We still have to fix that, but this hanging feeder keeps them from making too much mess. Learned to hang the feeder ABOVE the chickens' poop shooters. Water is up on a few bricks, also out of range of the poopers, and filled nice and heavy so the chickens can't ride on it or tip it over (again).

The pinup behind this little teen roo is of Martha Stewart holding a lovely BO.
25976_p110111_1526.jpg

Poop shelf so I don't have to bend over to get that magical poop for my compost heap. Scooper I enjoy using from a flea market. PLASTIC nest boxes to prevent mite infestations. The plastic boxes are screwed into wall studs, because the little monkeys throw the boxes around. You'll be surprised how often they move their furniture. They're especially fond of upside down redecorating.

25976_04242010501.jpg

Galvanized steel cans to keep chipmunks from thinking they have any access to free food. But they sniff around long enough to get eaten by a chicken. But, learned to keep the steel cans in the garage, away from the chickens, so they don't make such a fuss over trying to roost upon them and constantly sliding off and cackling about that.

25976_06232010764.jpg

The shed is only 30 feet from our back door. So, the ceiling and walls are insulated because our rooster crows and that muffles the sound.
Next time around, I'll make waaay better ventillation. Still fixing that.
Hope these help!

Last edited:
Quote:
See what your chickens like. Currently we have the big tupperware for our broody and her chick, with the big side cut out, so two chickens can walk side by side into it. The others are smaller office sized tupperwares, with the short end cut out in an arch. They are very easy to cut with a steak knife or scissors, then we used duct tape over the lower edge, to make a little cushioning as the broody's get naked breastbones to scrape.

Some chickens like the whole side open. that's our broody's favorite one. But some like a little hole to climb in for total privacy. Also, ours seem to prefer red, DH calls it "the womb" when they fight over the red box.

I dust them with permethrin, once we had a mite infestation and it was awful. Mites love wood, they live in the wood crevices.

Quote:
Once you find your chickens on your feeder you'll know. They're like 5 year old boys in a playground. They make a terrible mess of feeders which aren't secured to something. The height of the hanging feeder is so they don't poop into the food.

Still, they ride it and try to perch on the chain, and put sticks in it, and kick it, etc., but hanging seems to lose less feed.

Back
Top Bottom