Pics of the INSIDE of coops?

This is SO helpful! Thank you, and keep em coming!
I have few questions - for ladders, how far apart are the rungs?
How high are the feeders hung (bottom)
Are the plastic next boxes secured in anyway or just set on the shelves?

The feeders depend on high your chickens can reach really. The smaller they are the lower they should be.

These are pre-chicken (i.e. the nest boxes were still full of my tool--they made great tool boxes
wink.png
, there were no shavings on the floor and roost was clean!
smile.png
). My coop has a 4x8 store room that opens with a dutch door to the 8x8 coop. Once the chickens moved in I suspended the feeder and waterer from the rafters on chains and there is a dust bathing box under the window

40181_web-wd-007.jpg

40181_web-wd-008.jpg

40181_web-wd-010.jpg

40181_web-wd-012.jpg

40181_web-wd-015.jpg

40181_web-wd-016.jpg

40181_web-wd-014.jpg

40181_web-wd-013.jpg

Quote:
for ladders, the chickens above will poop on the chickens below all night, resulting in stinky dirty chickens. Measure an average chicken (or your own) to make the distance between rungs AT LEAST as far apart as a chicken is long. AND make sure the poop is easy to clean out, that's why so many make a poop shelf at people-waist-height so it's a lovely task instead of a difficult task. Your flowers and veg garden will be fantastic with the composted chicken poop, you'll probably want all the poop you can get.

The plastic nest boxes are secured into wall studs with 2 screws. I can unscrew them easily to take out, inspect for mites and clean as needed.

Everything in there needs to be secured to something solid. Little monkeys. A rule of thumb I found here on BYC, "...if they CAN hurt themselves on it, they WILL". They kick stuff, pull things around, steal each others' eggs, ride the feeder, try to roost on the thermometer, jump for spiders (a favorite snack), boss each other around, generally hunt-n-peck when they're not asleep. After sundown, its all calm but inbetween sleeping, they're busy little bodies!

I think the coop is safest when they're not in it. I let them out after they've eaten a good quantity of ACTUAL CHICKEN FEED out of sheer boredom around 9 am to forage through our yard.

Wow, all these puts mine to shame. Very nice job to all that shared.

My coop from the outside....

85019_img_2082_1.jpg

Screen door added...

85019_0605011554.jpg

Here is my "on a tight budget" inside coop.

the roosts above the nesting boxes...

85019_img_2126.jpg

the nesting boxes....

85019_img_2127.jpg

the ladder to help them get down...

85019_img_2128.jpg

the pop door under the nesting boxes...

85019_img_2132.jpg

Here is a thing that held dog collars and leashes from work. We did a reset and they were going to throw them out. Thought it would work great to hang my cleaning tools from...

85019_img_2129.jpg

The fan that helps keep them cool in the heat.....

85019_img_2131.jpg

My feeder/waterer, up on blocks. Helps to keep it cleaner......

85019_img_2130.jpg

Hope to insulate this fall. Mine is very simple, and they seem happy.

Mine's pretty basic, as a hen house goes.

94470_100_1287.jpg

Nesting boxes to the right, that you can access the eggs from the out side. Pop door straight ahead.

94470_100_1285.jpg

Roosting perches to the left, with a poop board underneath, that is covered with hardware cloth, so the chickend can't walk on the messy poop board. It's accessable from the back side through a door (easy clean up).

94470_100_1300.jpg

94470_100_1294.jpg

They seem to like it, as I haven't heard any complants from them yet.

6chickens- If I had read better, I would have seen the part about the screws in your original post..I noticed they seem to get on top and poop on the lids too. I am thinking I will make the shelf above right on top of the boxes, so the boxes will just slide in and out, and I can make a removable dowel or even a bungee cord to hold them in place...

Back
Top Bottom