Picture thread of my hens!

And then two of my dogs
1f602.png

Awww... Where did the duck egg come from?

Yea, where'd you get a duck egg? and what happened with the pheasant egg and the hidden nest/
I got them from a friend. Absolutely gutted though. Got 3 eggs, all 3 hatched yesterday and last night rats got in and killed two :(. So theres only the little baby pictured left. The rats also killed the Phesant babies too.

I'm so sorry about the ones who were killed. The duckling will grow up thinking she/he is a chicken. The hens look like they have taken a liking to the little one. Have you thought about bringing the duckling inside or putting her in a rat proof enclosure outside until the duckling is bigger?
Thing is, I really don't want it to think its a chicken because it wont be staying with the hens forever. My uncle wont let me keep ducks in out field so I'm keeping them on some land that my friends are renting. Daisy my other buff is broody so I'm getting her some eggs and hopefully this little one will make friends with them! They are now safe from rats.

Well the rats managed to get in and take my last duckling. I honestly hate them things. Despite their being poison and traps set, they still got the little baby. They've completely destroyed two of my sheds, both I can't afford to replace. They've left me with one shed which they're working on. Got the first time in ages, I literally don't know what I'm going to do.

John, I'm so sorry. I had rats get my ducklings a few years ago and it's awful. I found little bodies left with no heads. Why do they go for ducklings but not chicks? I've never lost chicks to rats. And why doesn't the broody deal with them? Surely she will protect duckling babies the same as chicks?
The difficulty is finding somewhere safe to put poison or traps, especially after the accident little Coco had. I was going to suggest the plaster of Paris in peanut butter trick (rats cannot resist peanut butter), but if your hens got into them and ate them you would be even more gutted!
I hope someone else has a good suggestion.....

....... just goes to show that it might look like chicken heaven up there on the fell but there are drawbacks, even to living in apparent paradise.

I really, really feel for you!

Back
Top Bottom