Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

For instance -- say you've got two BCM roosters. One has a side sprig, but he also has sensational coloration, a good tail angle, and came from a very very dark egg. The other has a perfect comb -- but his chest is solid red, he's got a squirrel tail, and his egg was only a 4. Which rooster do you use?

You can use any bird you want, the decision & responsibility is yours.
But just simple culling will not always get rid of a problem. At times you need to resort to test mating to birds of known genotypes,even if they aren't the same breed.
Unfortunately this costs time,facilities, and money due to feed & lost sales, and many breeders are not willing or do not have the facilities to do this.
David

White ear lobes are a common fault in farm flock Marans in France, due to farmers cross breeding with other fowl.
Another situation the MCF is constantly complaining about,
David

David... thank you for clarifying that for us! Your input is greatly appreciated.

Chef

Mike here is a French Standard and Banded Black Copper Marans Young cockerel. He is 6 1/2 months old.

lpjake1.jpg

lpjake2.jpg

lpjake3.jpg

lpjake3a.jpg

lpjake3b.jpg

Hope this helps.
Brenda
USA Delegate for Marans Club of France

He's a very handsome fella.
smile.png

Unfortunately, as David pointed out earlier (I forget whether it was in this thread or a different thread), the French standard no longer allows for a solid black breast as Jake appears to have. The proposed APA standard does, however, so he'd be fine under that.

Also -- the French standard doesn't specify the number of points on the comb, but under APA I *think* that all large fowl are required to have only 5 points. If I'm remembering that wrong, somebody please correct me!

OTOH he's obviously got good mass, a good tail angle, and looks like good eye color. Good looking boy!

Quote:
comment removed

Here's the exact wording from the French standard at the French Marans Club site:

"Cock : Black-breasted red, with parsimonious red spotting on the breast."

http://marans-club.club.fr/standang.htm#standard

And here's what David said about it the other day, when he was commenting on a statement somebody else made:

Quote:
Or do you mean that I'm wrong about your bird having a solid black breast?

ETA: Or do you mean that I'm wrong about the number of points on the comb?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom