Pigeon Droppings

Dark green poops can be an indication of poor nutrition. Giving them a daily multivitamin can help out making them more of a brown color which means their nutrition is balanced. Dark green also indicate stress which is normal for birds that have just moved!

How green is it? Is it like a bright green or just a dark green that kinda blends in with the rest of the poop.
If it is a bright green poop, then it is parasites no doubt. This year cocci has been hitting alot of lofts pretty bad this year. You can put a very little corrid in their water as a preventaive for 21 days. But if you are not too sure. Just go ahead and put apple cider vinegar in their water everyday instead. That will help keep their immune system up. We give birds apple cider vinegar everyday. Also after scrapping the droppings, use a spray bottle and disinfect the area with diluted apple cider vinegar also.

So I got some new pigeons recently and I’ve noticed their droppings are small and very dark. When one of them pooed on the wall I noticed that it was a dark green colour.

View attachment 1334712

Green poop can mean several different things. As mentioned above, poop can be green when they eat greens, but that differs from sickness or stress green poop mostly in that the poop otherwise looks normal (i.e., mostly solid with white splash, just green), whereas sick or stress poop is green and usually runny, or shaped differently than a normal poop--I like to describe normal pigeon poop as "loafy". Absent eating greens, pigeon poop can be green if they are sick or stressed. That said, if the green poop continues for more than a few days, I would be concerned about illness, but for now I wouldn't worry too much, I would presume it is from the stress of relocation and settling to a new loft. I would just keep a close eye on them and their poop.

Sometimes pigeons just have a bout of green, unhealthy poop just temporarily, for perhaps inexplicable reasons, not much different than the fact that some humans sometimes have a less than desirable bowl movement quality here and there. Sometimes humans have unhealthy looking poop due to stress as well, and some pigeons I think aren't much different.

My favorite topic :gigI have created an album called Poopology...not much in there yet...

View attachment 1334720
One of my nest boxes usually looks like your pic when I scrape in the morning. 'Normal' droppings in my loft are kind of small and dark. From the red color in others it seems I have one bird consuming massive amounts of redstone grit - even has the texture of ground up grit!:rolleyes: Then I have a hen sitting on eggs and she appears to 'hold it' in order not to soil the nest making larger perfect looking droppings when she does poop.

Do you give fresh greens? That can make droppings more green and runny.

edit Keeping the new birds separate?
Put Apple cider vinegar in its water for three days should clear it up

I use ACV in their fresh water everyday. :D
btw just had another baby hatch today:jumpy
I have a juicer to put garlic in the water twice a week and if it rains a couple of days in the week I use the vinegar it seems to work and coffee gets the wheels going for me!! Ha! Ha!!!
Crzytrkr.....

Thanks - it's a nest with 3 eggs/2 hens. Maybe another one or 2 might hatch yet today or tomorrow. I really didn't know what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom