Pigeon Talk

So I was just thinking, what made y'all first want to get pigeons? For me, it was a book that I read cover to cover in a very short time. I thought it was cool that you could fly them, and they actuaflewflew, unlike chickens.
When I was quite young we had a "lost" blue bar racer who visited our house almost daily for an entire summer. When he first showed up he landed, clearly exhausted, on our patio and was so thirsty that he jumped up onto my mother's arm and drank some water straight out of her glass, I'll never forget that. We gave him some bird seed too and he went on his way, but every day after that for several months he'd return in the morning for a bit of seed and a drink. We were able to catch him and contact the owner (who lived about 50 miles away in another state) but he didn't seem very interested in getting the bird back. For a while he started bringing a blue check hen with him to our house but she must've been picked off by a hawk. After that happened, my parents made a bit of a fuss with the owner because we didn't want to see "Pidge" get killed coming to our house, and eventually he was picked up and taken back home. That childhood experience kickstarted my interest in pigeons but I was never able to get any until last year. I've actually rescued a number of lost racers in my life but that first pigeon was really what started it for me. He was a very tame and friendly bird and tolerated me catching and handling him as a young child with no fuss at all.

Oh gosh, I forgot to let you all know. Baby boy arrived at 11:27 am yesterday April 3rd. 5lbs11oz. :ya
Momma, baby, and family all doing well!
:celebrate :wee
So happy all went well! :love
:love:love
I first became interested when I got tagged in a thread here on BYC, on which someone was trying to raise an abandoned feral pigeon egg. I think a couple of us in here probably decided to get pigeons because of the same thread, lol.
That's when I became interested too..:gig

Great stories everyone! :love

Do you have a notebook with everybody’s birds? Or just a good memory? I can’t hardly keep track of what everyone has/had. :D
I just remember! It took me a while to get all of your birds straight, and ccuk's. I think I got ccuk, but I'm still perfecting yours :) your naming system with your squabs is gonna help though :) it also helps, that i only talk on the pigeon section.

Hokum Coco...great story and loved the articles/videos. These wartime birds were amazing. In fact there is a Top 10 Heroic Wartime Pigeon list....somewhere. It outlined the deeds of each top 10 bird. It was fascinating. What some of these birds endured to deliver their messages is incredible.

I forgot, did your fantail find a home?
Yes, in looking through Facebook groups, I saw a friends name come up repeatedly. I asked her if she was looking for a pigeon. She said yes. She couldn’t get it for three weeks. It went home with her last Friday. It is doing well. She had pigeons years ago.

It was fascinating. What some of these birds endured to deliver their messages is incredible.

Clicking on blue lettering will provide you with added information

The PDSA Dickin Medal (equivalent to the Victoria Cross) was instituted in 1943 in the United Kingdom by Maria Dickin to honour the work of animals in World War II. Pigeons are not the only animal that gained wartime status (but to date are the most decorated.) . The medal was awarded 54 times between 1943 and 1949 – to 32 pigeons, 18 dogs, 3 horses, and Surprisingly there is one cat Simon a ship's cat – to acknowledge actions of gallantry or devotion during the Second World War and subsequent conflicts.The awarding of the medal was revived in 2000 to honour Gander, a Newfoundland dog, who saved infantrymen during the Battle of Lye Mun.

Dicken Medal.jpg
Dicken Medal.jpg

Check out the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom