Pigeon Talk

I've been busy cleaning out and kiwi and Ruby decided to stay out the way so I got another good look at the baby. :eek:Its massive! Ruby can't even fully cover it now! It's getting most of its feathers now including leg feathers and a crest :ya. It looks like it will mostly be white apart from black tips on its tail. View attachment 1946109Pictures not that great. It's gonna be stunning :love
:love Doo raised one of those super massive singles, born after two nest mates to another pair, he is bigger and ahead of them. Your baby fantail doesn't need covering - he can generate enough heat on his own and is nearly feathered.:lol:

It took 8 months but today Olive decided to eat some boiled egg and veggies with vitamins I mix up for the other birds a few times a week. She has been notoriously picky so far about almost anything she eats.

1029191351.jpg

Are you supposed to be able to feel the keel bone on a healthy pigeon?
I can feel it on Olive, it doesn't feel like the lost homer pigeon's extremely sharp breast did when he was starved, but it's prominent moreso down low just in front of her legs. I do feel muscle on either side of it up on the breast, and it's not as noticeable there.

I don't forceably hold her much and she doesn't like her belly touched, so I don't really get a good feel on her condition so often, so this probably isn't new.

No signs of anything wrong otherwise.

Are you supposed to be able to feel the keel bone on a healthy pigeon?
I can feel it on Olive, it doesn't feel like the lost homer pigeon's extremely sharp breast did when he was starved, but it's prominent moreso down low just in front of her legs. I do feel muscle on either side of it up on the breast, and it's not as noticeable there.

I don't forceably hold her much and she doesn't like her belly touched, so I don't really get a good feel on her condition so often, so this probably isn't new.

No signs of anything wrong otherwise.
Sounds pretty normal to me. I can feel the keel bone on my homers but it doesn't protrude beyond the breast muscle on either side in any way that causes me concern.

Images below from Body Condition in Birds, Lafebre Vet
upload_2019-11-1_20-38-40.jpeg

images

Greetings to Olive!:frow

Ps I would 'feel up her breasts':gigon a regular basis to be able to notice any changes.

Edit Down below in her leg and vent area there aren't large muscles and it's very easy to palpate the keel.

Sounds pretty normal to me. I can feel the keel bone on my homers but it doesn't protrude beyond the breast muscle on either side in any way that causes me concern.

View attachment 1949612
images

Ps I would 'feel up her breasts':gigon a regular basis to be able to notice any changes.

Thanks! Saved! :yesss:

View attachment 1949612
images

Edit Down below in her leg and vent area there aren't large muscles and it's very easy to palpate the keel.

Thanks... I think she's good.

She's gotten picky with her seed and doesn't want to eat her peas anymore. I don't give her any new seed until every pea is gone, but it takes a while. When I give her a new scoop she acts like she's never seen food before. I figure she will eat if she is hungry, don't want her wasting her food and not getting a balanced diet.

She used to love the peas, but now she views them with disdain.

Back
Top Bottom