Pipd's Peeps!

I'm going to post these as thumbnails, so click them to view them closer. :)

Modern Game Bantams. They are way too cute. :love Most of them wanted to peck at me or my phone while I was taking pictures! Not in a mean way, more out of curiosity. This is a hen (I can't remember if she was Black Breasted Red or Gold Duckwing?) and a White rooster:

View attachment 1586553 View attachment 1586562

I could not get over this Birchen hen's eyes! All of the other Birchens had dark brown eyes, but she had these lovely orange-brown eyes! :love

View attachment 1586538 View attachment 1586539

OEGBs--I couldn't resist :love :love In order, this is a Blue Brassy Back hen, Blue hen, Blue Silver hen, two different Blue Wheaten hens, and a Brassy Back rooster (his face was so funny!!)

View attachment 1586541 View attachment 1586544 View attachment 1586545 View attachment 1586547 View attachment 1586548 View attachment 1586549

I didn't take many pictures of d'Uccles, but I absolutely fell in love with one of the colors there, a Silver Mille Fleur. :drool I also grabbed a shot of a Gold Neck hiding her face in her food dish. :p

View attachment 1586559 View attachment 1586552

Call Ducks! :D I took pictures of the prettiest. First is an Appleyard hen who would not pull her bill out of her feathers for a better picture, then a Pied Gray drake, and the last two are of the same Snowy drake because he was a real charmer. :love

View attachment 1586536 View attachment 1586554 View attachment 1586561 View attachment 1586560

The rest are just miscellaneous breeds and such, so I'll do them individually. :) This is an Ayam Cemani hen that thought the lens of my cell phone camera was super shiny.

View attachment 1586537

A Black Cochin rooster that puts the LARGE in large fowl! :eek:

View attachment 1586540

Oops, I guess there is a repeated breed. This is a large fowl frizzled Blue Cochin hen :love

View attachment 1586542

A Blue Light Brahma! Never heard of this variety, but she was gorgeous! I don't know what was up with her eye, though. :hmm

View attachment 1586543

A Blue Sumatra hen :love That lacing!

View attachment 1586546

A Buff Brahma hen getting into a dust bath. :lol: Because what else is there to do in these show cages? (Err, oops, yet another repeat breed :oops: )

View attachment 1586550

I was so excited that they had some Colored Dorkings there!! Their color didn't come out very well in pictures, though, because there was a light right above them. :hmm But here is a Colored Dorking cockerel:

View attachment 1586551

Red Shouldered Yokohama rooster, because he was handsome and he posed. :love

View attachment 1586555

And finally, THIS GUY! I did NOT know there were frizzled Salmon Faverolles bantams! His BEARD is frizziled! :eek: Look at him!!

View attachment 1586558 View attachment 1586556

I also ran into @fishnet1971 there (not sure if she still gets on BYC or not). :frow Good to meet you!! :D
:goodpost:

Very nice birds!

The temptation was real... But none of the birds in the pictures were for sale. :(

Actually, if there had been more Silver Duckwing variant OEGBs available in the sale barn, I probably would have broken down and brought something home. :oops: But all that was for sale of that ilk were three Silver Duckwing OEGB roosters, and I definitely have plenty of roosters as is! I suppose I could have gotten some Creles... Resulting offspring of Winston crossed over Crele hens would be Silver Duckwing or Fawn Silver Duckwing pullets and fawn/black, golden, single-factor barred males. BUT, I kind of want to stick to one variety (or family of pure-breeding varieties, if you will) for now. :)

I definitely agree... Not to mention the high risk of your cleaned up, shiny, perfect show bird going into molt right before (or during) a show. :hmm There are spring shows, but they don't seem to be as popular as the fall shows. The Ohio National is one of, if not the largest show in the country, though, so it's your best bet at finding something unusual if you're looking for it.

It's a balmy 20° F this morning. Myrna says someone better turn up the thermostat or else!!

Myrna grumpy 11-14-18.jpg

Still, there was some pretty frost in the yard this morning... I don't much like the cold, but I can appreciate its beauty. :)

frost 1 11-14-18.jpg
frost 2 11-14-18.jpg

How's it looking for y'all? Starting to feel like winter yet? :p

Yes. It was very cold this morning.
I need to take my phone out more. This morning one of the duck's feathers that somehow is sticking straight up from the ground was dusted with frost and with the morning sun on it, it was so pretty. However, I had a lot to do and I decided to forgo running in to get my phone. It is probably a good thing as a hawk decided to visit while the ducks were out. I think they saw it before it landed on the grass in front of them, because they didn't do their normal routine and stayed close by. It was about 10' in front of them. :th

:eek: :th Hawks can be pretty bold! How did Boomer react, or was this not near the chickens?

Editing to add, I found a feather from one of my hens frosted a few years ago, though it being a white feather you can hardly see the frost on it. Still, kind of pretty, right? :D

Frosty feather.jpg

Very pretty.
The ducks were out in the yard, the chickens weren't. Ducks listen, chickens don't. Well they do, but it's harder to wrangle the chickens up when they are having fun so I only let them out in the yard closer to evening. I didn't let anyone out this evening though.

9C6AD461-D08D-434E-8ECC-C273315E265C.jpeg
It was 21 during the day!? Okay, well then I shouldn’t have to worry if we get down to about 29-30 tonight? I put the heat light out there just in case.. it is very secure... but I’m wondering if I even need that? My coop entrance does not have a door soooo...

Back
Top Bottom