Pipd's Peeps!

Baby Y is out! After about 2-1/2 hours without any progress, I finally went with my gut and helped her out. She wasn't totally shrink-wrapped, but she was glued into the 'cap' of her egg and couldn't progress any further. Once I chipped away the shell to finish zipping for her, and peeled away the glued portion of the membrane, she popped out with lots to say. :love Looks like another Fawn! She's back in the incubator resting now.

View attachment 1716345

In the mean time, I think Babies P, B, and G are ready to move to the brooder. :love :love
That can happen at the end of a hatch.

Good Job!

Thank you. Phew! I wasn't sure if I made the right call there. Just really glad it worked out! :) While I was moving the first 3 babies to the brooder, I topped off the water cells and put a damp sponge piece in there as well. Hopefully I won't have to intervene again, especially since it looks like Egg R has a teeny-tiny pip now! Too tiny to get a clear picture of, but it's definitely there!

Thank you. Phew! I wasn't sure if I made the right call there. Just really glad it worked out! :) While I was moving the first 3 babies to the brooder, I topped off the water cells and put a damp sponge piece in there as well. Hopefully I won't have to intervene again, especially since it looks like Egg R has a teeny-tiny pip now! Too tiny to get a clear picture of, but it's definitely there!
It sounds like a staggered hatch so this will start a new hatch clock. They will likely be fine too!

Now, that's a pip! :celebrate Egg R is really air-breathing now--and Baby Y is watching on in the background. :p

Egg R pip with Baby Y in bg.jpg

Egg M is starting to rock a bit now, too. :yesss: Almost there!

Oops, forgot to add some cuteness from the brooder babies. I can't really tell B and G apart at the moment, so all I know for sure is this is one of them (though I'm leaning toward G as she has darker head markings...). :love They've mostly just been sleeping under the EcoGlow, so I've left them alone. Tomorrow, if they're more active, I'll show them their food and water just to make sure they know where it is. :)

In the brooder - probably Baby G.jpg

It sounds like a staggered hatch so this will start a new hatch clock. They will likely be fine too!

Yeah, I think that was my fault. Usually, when I candle them on days 7 , 14, and 18, I also rotate the eggs so they're not all in the same location in the incubator through the whole incubation. For some reason, I just decided not to do that this time. The last two yet to hatch are the ones that were at the ends of the row of eggs, furthest from the fan / heat element. Oops... :oops:

following - congratulations - I think you are making the right calls , glad you are letting us into all this. How exciting.:wee

Haha, no problem at all! Honestly, I've been sitting here thinking I've been posting way too much, updating on every little thing! :duc

Good morning! Baby Y figured out that she could squeeze around the edge of my incubator divider and was hopping spaces when I checked a moment ago, so since I didn't see a pip on Egg M, I went ahead and moved Babies Y and R to the brooder. It's still dark here, so I decided to candle Egg M and check its progress. Unfortunately, I instead found out that M had pipped on the wrong side of the egg and for some reason died, I assume almost immediately after pipping. I didn't (and may not) eggtopsy it, but its yolk is visible through the membrane around the pip it made, so it stopped before absorbing. Its nostrils did not clear the egg to the air, so I suspect it drowned because it pipped in the wrong spot. :( Still, I have five adorable little fuzzes in the brooder now! It's still dark, so here's just a quick picture under the EcoGlow. :love (Still waiting on the leg bands to show up, so they are temporarily in rainbow loom bands for now ;) )

IMG_20190328_070404~2.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning! Baby Y figured out that she could squeeze around the edge of my incubator divider and was hopping spaces when I checked a moment ago, so since I didn't see a pip on Egg M, I went ahead and moved Babies Y and R to the brooder. It's still dark here, so I decided to candle Egg M and check its progress. Unfortunately, I instead found out that M had pipped on the wrong side of the egg and for some reason died, I assume almost immediately after pipping. I didn't (and may not) eggtopsy it, but its yolk is visible through the membrane around the pip it made, so it stopped before absorbing. Its nostrils did not clear the egg to the air, so I suspect it drowned because it pipped in the wrong spot. :( Still, I have five adorable little fuzzes in the brooder now! It's still dark, so here's just a quick picture under the EcoGlow. :love (Still waiting on the leg bands to show up, so they are temporarily in rainbow loom bands for now ;) )

View attachment 1717139
I am sorry you lost one!

You do not need to eggtopsy since you know what happened. It is sad but that happens sometimes with chicks

Back
Top Bottom