Pipd's Peeps!

Thanks, y'all. :hugs He is looking a touch less dusky than he did the other night, but still dusky, hunching a lot, and acting a bit weak. I wonder if the cold and wind a couple days ago was just too much for him in his condition. Definitely not expecting him to get all the way back to 100% or anything, but maybe he'll stick around a tiny bit longer yet. :fl

He's not into all the attention he's been getting from me lately if the look on his face here is any indication. 🤭

View attachment 3778529

Hoping he stays with you for some more time :fl ! He seems to enjoy the pampering🤣

Speaking of special guys, I lost a very special guy, Gus, in the middle of summer last year. Technically, he was Gus II; I'd named him after another Gus I had gotten at the same time as Roscoe, but also lost years and years ago.

Today, I evaluated last year's silkied Cochin cockerels to finally decide which were going to be my breeders for the year and which were going to be back-ups or culls. This is one of Gus II's sons. He's a good looking guy, and he was so patient and gentle the whole way through his evaluation. Something in those eyes and that gentle temperament sparked with such familiarity for me... Y'all I think I've found my Gus III 🥰

Green band black pick.jpg

Speaking of special guys, I lost a very special guy, Gus, in the middle of summer last year. Technically, he was Gus II; I'd named him after another Gus I had gotten at the same time as Roscoe, but also lost years and years ago.

Today, I evaluated last year's silkied Cochin cockerels to finally decide which were going to be my breeders for the year and which were going to be back-ups or culls. This is one of Gus II's sons. He's a good looking guy, and he was so patient and gentle the whole way through his evaluation. Something in those eyes and that gentle temperament sparked with such familiarity for me... Y'all I think I've found my Gus III 🥰

View attachment 3778904
He does look super kind 🥰 I'm sorry for your losses, they always suck, but what a cool story on the lineage of your birds ❤

You have me seriously debating my choice of raising silkies!

View attachment 3778904

He's a beautiful boy. Somehow I can just tell by the photo that he's a gentle boy, something about those eyes and the little head turn. I'm so sorry for your loss of Guss II, but so glad you've got this boy to remember him by. That is also the beauty of breeding these birds, but any animal really. That is also part of the beauty of breeding these birds, but any animal really. When they're gone, we have an actual part of them right here with us to remind us of all the wonderful memories, and how great they were; making the loss a little easier, if you will❤️

You have me seriously debating my choice of raising silkies!

Hehe, yesss, come to the silkied Cochin side 😁

I'm sorry for your losses, they always suck, but what a cool story on the lineage of your birds ❤
That is also part of the beauty of breeding these birds, but any animal really. When they're gone, we have an actual part of them right here with us to remind us of all the wonderful memories, and how great they were; making the loss a little easier, if you will❤️

Agreed. I love having that lineage to look back on! I have had many, many beloved birds over the years that, once they were gone, they were just gone. It's only been the past like 7-8 years that I've really done any hatching at all (despite my username having been the same even before that 🤭 ) so a lot of the birds in my flocks past are just gone, but several at least have that fragment that will live on beyond them in my flock now. 🥰

Speaking on roughly the same subject, Fluffy, I'm pretty sure I saw Gwenyth checking out the nest boxes a couple days ago. I've got to get the Cochins sorted for breeding season first and foremost, but after that... :pop

Hehe, yesss, come to the silkied Cochin side 😁

Agreed. I love having that lineage to look back on! I have had many, many beloved birds over the years that, once they were gone, they were just gone. It's only been the past like 7-8 years that I've really done any hatching at all (despite my username having been the same even before that 🤭 ) so a lot of the birds in my flocks past are just gone, but several at least have that fragment that will live on beyond them in my flock now. 🥰

Speaking on roughly the same subject, Fluffy, I'm pretty sure I saw Gwenyth checking out the nest boxes a couple days ago. I've got to get the Cochins sorted for breeding season first and foremost, but after that... :pop

It's so reassuring to have them among your birds forever. You don't have to rely on keeping feathers, which can very easily get lost.

OH MY GOSH YES GWENYTH BABIES! Eek so exciting!

...I still have a ton of feathers in plastic zipper bags all over my bedroom, though 🤭

Yesss, I can't wait to see her babies!! She looked like a grumpy old man when she was a baby, but she was the cutest little thing anyway 🤣

View attachment 3779349

That's true, I have three separate ceramic vases that have been passed down for three generations, all now holding a bunch of chicken feathers.

Oh my gosh, she's so precious. She looks like me when I wake up

Back
Top Bottom