Pipd's Peeps!

Interesting! I think that's a normal age for serama sexing (we'll see what my experience will be), but the Tsouloufates take WAY longer. About the twice as long, to be exact! Cool to see that even though the birds I raise develop way faster, but don't show gender until later while the slow developing ones seem to show it at a young age

I've heard that about Seramas as well! And that's pretty interesting about the Tsouloufates! The Cochins take foreeeever to go into lay, but those boys pop their combs super early. 🤭

That's OK, I'll pick the cutest blues and splashes from the hatch and I'll know they are Judy booties!

Haha, sounds like a plan! 😁

I've heard that about Seramas as well! And that's pretty interesting about the Tsouloufates! The Cochins take foreeeever to go into lay, but those boys pop their combs super early. 🤭

Haha, sounds like a plan! 😁

That seems to be the case, especially with the bantam cochins people post here to get them sexed. I find it cool; you might wait for an egg twice as long, but at least you can be calling them the right gender while waiting for it :lau

Gives me more time to drag my feet on naming them 🤣

Speaking of, I think I'm finally done with naming the 2023 birds!! :yesss: The last pullet, the one that could be Inara's twin, I've decided to name Morena. :love

Morena.jpg

...Now just to remember them all :th Thankfully I've been doing pretty well at that so far!

Gives me more time to drag my feet on naming them 🤣

Speaking of, I think I'm finally done with naming the 2023 birds!! :yesss: The last pullet, the one that could be Inara's twin, I've decided to name Morena. :love

View attachment 3798179

...Now just to remember them all :th Thankfully I've been doing pretty well at that so far!
This is how we keep our memories well practiced 🤣

She's beautiful!

Oh, forgot to mention, I'm setting more eggs today! :wee I haven't decided on how many, the girls are laying a ton so I basically have no restrictions beyond the size of the incubator. Just trying to figure out the logistics of, if I set a bunch now, whether I can set a bunch in my next batch as well with the amount of incubator and brooder space I have available... 🤔

I also have just oooone egg from the mixed flock. I'm like 90% sure it's Gwenyth's egg, so I'm very tempted to pop it in there as well. I'm not sure if it'll even be fertilized, though, and if it is then I won't know by whom until it hatches, of it hatches. Winter does not seem to show her any kind of attention at all, Reuben hasn't been breeding the hens pretty much since Margie passed on, Pete hasn't been in there very long and only seems to have eyes for the other Cochins, and I don't know if Mallow could reach if he tried. 🤭 But maybe?

I was looking at the timing of everything and thinking I'd set a batch of Gwenyth's eggs later in the summer once I was done setting Cochins for the year, since I don't have to worry about giving Gwennie's babies time to grow out or anything like I do with the Cochins. But no harm in just one sneaking in every now and then if the incubator is running anyway, right?

Back
Top Bottom