Pipd's Peeps!

Ohhh thank you for that info! That will not be the right bird for me then. Last year our temp for about three days in January was -40 :eek: All schools and some businesses had to close and we couldn't get our cars started! It was crazy so I definitely need a cold hardy bird. Although, at that temp I believe all the babies will be coming inside. :p

Yeah, we got pretty cold for what's usual here for two or three days this past winter, somewhere around -20 lows and -16 highs if I remember right, without wind chill. I know the OEGBs were brought in long before we hit those temps, but I'm not sure if it was slightly above or slightly below 0. Either way, not anywhere near -40! :eek:

You ought to get yourself some bantam Cochins if you need broodies who are cold hardy! They don't even bat an eye at the cold and snow! :lol:

Rowena wing flap.jpg

Well, we were visited by either a gray fox or a small dog today. Hard to say which because I saw it at a distance and it vanished into the bushes before I could get any closer, but I'd bet it's what took Josephine as it was right near where we found her feathers. I'd been getting lax on running the dog around out there because the mosquitoes are absolutely ridiculous right now, so it's my own fault. 3 Guineas are missing without a trace, not even any feathers, but at least all the chickens are accounted for. It's odd, because the Guineas drop feathers like nothing if they're grabbed, so I would expect to see feathers everywhere out there... but they also scream their little heads off if they get separated, and there's no sounds from the bushes or the woods. :hmm So, I guess, either they'll show up sometime this evening or they won't.

Well, we were visited by either a gray fox or a small dog today. Hard to say which because I saw it at a distance and it vanished into the bushes before I could get any closer, but I'd bet it's what took Josephine as it was right near where we found her feathers. I'd been getting lax on running the dog around out there because the mosquitoes are absolutely ridiculous right now, so it's my own fault. 3 Guineas are missing without a trace, not even any feathers, but at least all the chickens are accounted for. It's odd, because the Guineas drop feathers like nothing if they're grabbed, so I would expect to see feathers everywhere out there... but they also scream their little heads off if they get separated, and there's no sounds from the bushes or the woods. :hmm So, I guess, either they'll show up sometime this evening or they won't.
There is a good chance that the Guineas will show up later

That's what I'm hoping, Ron! It's just eerie how quiet it is out there... It's about coop up time now, so I'll go check. :fl

EDIT: No such luck. :( But I have had some Guineas fly into the woods and reappear the next morning, so there is still some hope.

Last edited:
No sign of the missing Guineas this morning. :hmm I've taken stock of who's missing, and of course, Short Stuff, my only remaining Royal Purple, is one of those missing. The oldest Guinea, who was unnamed, is also gone, and so, to my disappointment, is Handsome. Still holding out hope that they'll wander back at some point today when they hear their flockmates. :fl

Short Stuff and Handsome.jpg older guinea 2016.jpg

Well, there's not been a sign of the missing Guineas yet. I think it's safe to say that they're not coming back. My sister says she saw a new dog in the neighbor's yard a few days ago that matched the description of the fox/dog/thing that I saw fleeing the scene the day that they went missing. The neighbors are constantly having guests over, sometimes for weeks at a time, so it could be just a guest's pet. Here's hoping, anyway, so that it eventually goes away (or possibly already has?). So, once it cools down in the fall and the mosquitoes die down some, I'll take a few hikes out to where the Guineas usually wander turning free-range and see if I can get some closure on Handsome, Short Stuff, and the unnamed old guy. :(

In other news, Miss Elly has fully come down with her annual crop issue. :hmm After an Epsom salt flush, I kept her inside for observation to make sure she was going okay, and it happened. She's had another Epsom salt flush to clear what was left in her crop, and is currently on day 3 of her Nystatin treatment for sour crop. She's doing well so far and has held onto what's left of her fat stores thanks to me realizing that, while solids aren't really moving through her, fluids are, so she's getting baby bird handfeeding formula for some protein and fat twice a day. :)

Also, apparently along with molting season, it's crowing hen season around here. Not only has Reinette been crowing off and on, but this morning, Rangi and Sybil both crowed! In front of me!! :th Crazy hens!

Last edited:
Well, there's not been a sign of the missing Guineas yet. I think it's safe to say that they're not coming back. My sister says she saw a new dog in the neighbor's yard a few days ago that matched the description of the fox/dog/thing that I saw fleeing the scene the day that they went missing. The neighbors are constantly having guests over, sometimes for weeks at a time, so it could be just a guest's pet. Here's hoping, anyway, so that it eventually goes away (or possibly already has?). So, once it cools down in the fall and the mosquitoes die down some, I'll take a few hikes out to where the Guineas usually wander turning free-range and see if I can get some closure on Handsome, Short Stuff, and the unnamed old guy. :(

In other news, Miss Elly has fully come down with her annual crop issue. :hmm After an Epsom salt flush, I kept her inside for observation to make sure she was going okay, and it happened. She's had another Epsom salt flush to clear what was left in her crop, and is currently on day 3 of her Nystatin treatment for sour crop. She's doing well so far and has held onto what's left of her fat stores thanks to me realizing that, while solids aren't really moving through her, fluids are, so she's getting baby bird handfeeding formula for some protein and fat twice a day. :)

Also, apparently along with molting season, it's crowing hen season around here. Not only has Reinette been crowing off and on, but this morning, Rangi and Sybil both crowed! In front of me!! :th Crazy hens!
:hugs I am sorry about the guinea hens!

I hope the crop issue resolves for Elly

:hugs I am sorry about the guinea hens!

I hope the crop issue resolves for Elly

Thanks, Ron :hugs Elly seems to be doing well so far, but unfortunately I ran out of Nystatin and can't get any more until the weekend, so here's hoping her 4-day round did the job. :fl

we had some nice cool weather for a bit -discourages mosquitoes but now it's getting warmer again and rain, rain, rain. :tongue

The mosquitoes have been absolutely ridiculous around here this year. We've had cooler weather for a couple weeks now, too, but it hasn't slowed the buggers down much! Can't get too far from the house without dozens of them swarming on you! It's been downright crazy!

Of course, we're in for 88° F as the high today, so they're probably going to be even worse. :th

Back
Top Bottom