Pipd's Peeps!

SHE DID IT!!! :ya :wee :celebrate And on Thanksgiving, no less! 💕 I'm so proud of my Zinni! :love

1606412305362.png

Now I just need to convince her to use the nest box in there. This one was in the dirt at the corner of their section of the coop. 🤣

Aww yay Zinnia! I just spent the morning catching up on your thread (the last time I posted was in April! :0 )

I cant get over how CUTE Dandelion is! And Sumi and Myrtle and Peanut Butter... basically every one. Soooo cute!

Do you guys have cold weather yet in Indiana? We have been prepping for winter here again.. ugh! Not looking forward to it.

Aww yay Zinnia! I just spent the morning catching up on your thread (the last time I posted was in April! :0 )

I cant get over how CUTE Dandelion is! And Sumi and Myrtle and Peanut Butter... basically every one. Soooo cute!

Do you guys have cold weather yet in Indiana? We have been prepping for winter here again.. ugh! Not looking forward to it.

Hey, welcome back! :frow

Yup, there's a whole bunch of cuties over here 😁 I love them to bits!

Probably nowhere near as cold as you're getting up there! We've reached the point of dipping below freezing practically every night, but still hitting 40°+ F during the day most days. I'm not looking forward to winter either, ugh! 😩 I did get the plastic sheeting up on the deck and the rooster pens earlier this month when we started getting frosts, and collected some leaves for enrichment, so that's the bulk of my winter prep done. I have a couple things I wanted to do before we really get cold, but the longer they get put off the more I'm thinking they'll be early spring projects instead, oops. 🤣

Thanks, Ron! That girl's laying like a pro already! 2 more eggs from her since that first one on Thanksgiving! :wee

Hey, welcome back! :frow

Yup, there's a whole bunch of cuties over here 😁 I love them to bits!

Probably nowhere near as cold as you're getting up there! We've reached the point of dipping below freezing practically every night, but still hitting 40°+ F during the day most days. I'm not looking forward to winter either, ugh! 😩 I did get the plastic sheeting up on the deck and the rooster pens earlier this month when we started getting frosts, and collected some leaves for enrichment, so that's the bulk of my winter prep done. I have a couple things I wanted to do before we really get cold, but the longer they get put off the more I'm thinking they'll be early spring projects instead, oops. 🤣

Our days haven't been too bad lately either.. we have been around 40 too lately. At night it gets into the teens, but nothing terrible for this time of year! I had my plastic sheeting up too and then we had a super windy day and it all blew off and its still laying out in the yard :oops:
I did buy a couple heaters at least for the really cold days and am puting up curtains to cover the big windows at night. Hopefully that will keep some heat in!

Brr, we haven't hit teens just yet! I have to keep a close eye on my OEGBs when we hit that point, especially the youngsters. That's too bad about the plastic sheeting! I think the trees buffer a lot of the wind here, so I've not had that problem yet. :fl

I'm sure you're on top of it, but please be careful with heaters and don't forget to maintain proper ventilation over the winter as well! I won't judge on adding heat as I know Minnesota can have some pretty brutal winter weather. 🥶 It usually doesn't get too much lower than the single digits here, at least not during the day, but should we ever have another polar vortex event with negatives as our highs for the day, I'm pretty sure I'll be setting up temporary coop space in the basement for my girls! 🤣

Brr, we haven't hit teens just yet! I have to keep a close eye on my OEGBs when we hit that point, especially the youngsters. That's too bad about the plastic sheeting! I think the trees buffer a lot of the wind here, so I've not had that problem yet. :fl

I'm sure you're on top of it, but please be careful with heaters and don't forget to maintain proper ventilation over the winter as well! I won't judge on adding heat as I know Minnesota can have some pretty brutal winter weather. 🥶 It usually doesn't get too much lower than the single digits here, at least not during the day, but should we ever have another polar vortex event with negatives as our highs for the day, I'm pretty sure I'll be setting up temporary coop space in the basement for my girls! 🤣

I totally know what you mean! Its so hard to leave the little buggers out there in the cold even though they're much more equipped for it than me! This year we put in some good ventilation systems in the coop and I have yet to see any frostbite.. yay! Last year, by this time with my old coop I had frostbite already. :( The heaters I got are those Cozy Coop ones that just heat the hen sitting next to it- its for my old girl who has trouble keeping warm. I'm not planning on turning it on unless we are below 0 though. Last year we got to -50 so that was definitely a heater day! :lol:

Yay about the lack of frostbite! :celebrate As for those temps, I can't even imagine existing in -50F!! 🥶 Was that air temperature or windchill? I think the coldest air temp my birds have experienced was around -17F and that was rough enough!! :thLast winter for us was pretty mild and I don't think we even got to negative temps, or not more than once or twice if we did.

Yay about the lack of frostbite! :celebrate As for those temps, I can't even imagine existing in -50F!! 🥶 Was that air temperature or windchill? I think the coldest air temp my birds have experienced was around -17F and that was rough enough!! :thLast winter for us was pretty mild and I don't think we even got to negative temps, or not more than once or twice if we did.

It was the air temp 🥶🥶 Thankfully it was just a day I think that was that low, but the schools and some businesses had to close because peoples cars wouldnt start and kids cant wait for the bus in that! Crazy times! -17 still is sooo cold! I hate when the year gets to that point.

Back
Top Bottom